UL etc

Hi y'all :

Does anyone know of a good consultant who can help me design to UL508C, CSA

22.2#14 & EN50178 ?

I'm in Houston, TX

Thanks Gary

Reply to
Gary Pace

Hello Gary,

In which area do you need help? Isolation? I am not much into industrial electronics but heavily into IEC601-1 (medical electronics) which is very strict when it comes to mains and patient isolation. Same with EMI.

Often we have sensors, power transducers and electronic modules that need to run fully isolated because they are in patient contact. Defibrillator safety requires a 5kV barrier.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

A google shows it to be about "Electronic equipment for use in power installations"

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Hello Graham,

Yes, the VDE0160 turf. Often the challenges there boil down to where they are in medical. Tough isolation rules but the need to supply data and DC supplies across that isolation barrier. In medical there usually is the added task of receiving signals in the microvolt range back across that barrier and this provides some real fun during the design.

What we don't have in medical are the surges that need to be dealt with coming from the power side. Then again, we do have some of those challenges. For example the regulation that much of our equipment must recover without damage and return to fully operational status within x seconds if the doc accidentally didn't disconnect the patient before defibrillating.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg