U.S. Gearing Up To Become World's Supplier Of Lithium

Right now most of the world's lithium is coming from Australia #1, China, Chile and Argentina. The U.S. DoE is going to change that with the discovery of deep subsurface brines loaded with lithium. The U.S.G.S. has already completed the work of identifying relatively massive "hot spots" of lithium brines, mostly throughout the western states. When they say hot, they really mean it, this brine is really HOT. DoE plans to extract the lithium from geothermal brines used to generate electricity. They can do this on the fly and at least one proto-installation is in operation demonstrating the technology.

Using Direct Lithium Extraction To Secure U.S. Supplies

So as long as they don't do something like induce a Yellowstone super eruption, things are looking quite good.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

24K tons a year isn't a lot of lithium. Tesla batteries average over half a ton.
Reply to
jlarkin

"It is estimated that there’s about 63 kg of lithium in a 70 kWh Tesla Model S battery pack"

63kg = 140 pounds 24000 * 2000 pounds / 140 = 340,000 Teslas

Ed Lee

Still not a lot if we're going to mandate millions of electric cars per year.

The world may not have enough lithium to go all electric on cars and trucks, much less utility storage to back up wind and solar for days and weeks.

Reply to
jlarkin

They say its 10x the current demand, and that's just from the Salton Sea plant. USGS has identified potentially 1000s of extraction sites: "DLE could be a game-changing extraction method, potentially delivering 10 times the current U.S. lithium demand from California’s Salton Sea known geothermal area alone."

They already have a dozen geothermal power generating plants on the Salton Sea, so they're already 3/4 of the way to DLE there: The Salton Sea sits on the seismically active San Andreas Fault. Molten rock heats the underground water beneath the lakebed into a pressurized brine as hot as 500 degrees Fahrenheit. The brine is already used in nearly a dozen geothermal power plants to create electricity, and these same facilities can serve as an important part of DLE development.

They say lithium is "vast" and they really mean it.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

You just stick to your obsessing over CMEs.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

And the price is going to drop like a rock. Compare the brine extraction methodology to conventional mining practices with all its labor, heavy equipment, equipment operators, and truck train transport to the end users.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Or skyrocket if demand is huge.

We could have OLEC, like OPEC, once enough doofuss politicians mandate electric everything.

Invest in emergency generator companies.

What, each? Hardly. 24 ktons (~24 million kg) is enough for 3 million BEVs with 8 kg per car. That's not the full amount required long term, but it's a good start!

Reply to
Ricky

There are no knowledgeable people who doubt there is enough lithium to make all the BEVs we wish. The only issue we have concern about is how rapidly we can develop those resources. I believe lithium is 33rd most abundant element on the Earth. The problem is only that it is not concentrated much. However, we have the technology. We just need to ramp up production and not get behind the curve, because it can take a long time to increase production, much like semiconductors.

Reply to
Ricky

8kg or 17 pounds per car is too low.

Here is another estimate:

30,000 * 2,200 / 500,000 = 132 pounds or 60 kg per car.

"When fully operational, the plant will produce 30,000 metric tons of lithium per year, making it the largest lithium refining facility in the U.S, according to the company. Piedmont said it will churn out enough material to supply roughly 500,000 electric vehicles annually."

Ed Lee

Typically these brines contain many other minerals that are also profitable to extract. So the concentrating costs are shared across a range of minerals.

Reply to
Ricky

A man with two watches, never knows the correct time.

One problem is counting the weight of the lithium only, or what they call the lithium carbonate equivalent, which is heavier. These reports seldom distinguish.

Reply to
Ricky

Regardless of the weight discrepancy, this proposed largest mining is going to provide 500,000 vehicles, not millions.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Which is pretty much all the BEVs sold in the US last year.

Reply to
Ricky

Somebody who thinks that z Tesla battery contains seven times as much lithium as it actually does isn't a reliable source.,

The world is certain to have enough lithium. It may not be in the cheapest and most readily available deposits, but if the market is there, people will find it and extract it.

Solar cells and wind turbines don't stop working for weeks at a time, particularly when they are spread out across a whole country. Even somebody as stupid as Gnatguy realises that the capacity of the national grid has to be boosted to carry the extra currents involved, though he's convinced that no Democrat administration has the planning skills to make it happen, which is pretty stupid.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Well, they could just frack to get more brine. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Maybe the world needs to realize that it doesn't need all that many cars, and if electricity were used smarter, not as much storage.

Reply to
Robert Latest

There are alternative to getting around in cars. In densely populated areas, public transport works are great deal better - there isn't enough room in a big city for the road area to accommodate all the cars, or the parking stations to put them while the owners go about their business in the city.

In less densely populated areas cars are lot harder to replace, and it makes sense to store the electric power in batteries that travel around in the cars. Since the average car is parked for 95% of the time and rarely needs to be recharged rapidly their batteries could provide a lot of the storage that intermittent renewable energy sources need.

If all cars were electric, the batteries in the parked cars could deliver about a three times as much power as the grid as a whole (if only for a couple of hours).

Rich C does have an emotional objection to the idea, but if the car owners were paid enough for the service they might feel better about it.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

We just need more reliable chargers around and we can carry smaller batteries.

If and only if they are tied to the grid.

He won't object as long as it works for Tesla.

Reply to
Ed Lee