Tunnelling FET announced

Another physics curiosity probably rather than a robust device for engineering use but it has some interesting properties none the less.

It is a bulk germanium and 2D bilayer of molybdenum disulphide with an extremely thin conductance path and can operate on ~100mV.

ATLAS-TFET is the name they have given it. Seems to me it will be quite a while before it carries the world on its shoulders.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Fun, I clicked on the nature link at the bottom and got the whole nature article... no pay wall!

Of course it's hard to see how silicon and it's nice oxide gets replaced any time soon.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

You only hit the paywall if you try and download the PDF - new experimental sharing science policy has been adopted at Nature.

I expect you only have to wave a finger near the gate for static damage to occur but it would be a huge power saving if it works on LSI scales.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

If they can figure out a combination that could be built on silicon it might keep Moore's Law going for a while longer. Even with an exotic channel material.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Couple of years ago Fairchild's newsletter announced a one molecule transistor. This or that for the next generation of aggravation machines ?

Reply to
jurb6006