Transmit range of paspoorts/identification cards ?

Hello,

The dutch goverment wants it's citizens to always carry their identification cards with them.

Different dutch goverment websites mention there is a chip in these identification cards and can be read by a machine.

It never mentions the range of these cards/chips.

So again I ask the question:

What is the transmit range of these cards ?

Again I am worried about leaking information to criminals on the street.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

identification

Activating a card has a fairly limited range, if you dont want to fry things to far within the intended range and be noticed in the process.

Eavesdropping on an exchange with a legitimate reader may be possible to

10-20 meters, depending on the environmental noise and the ability to hide the somewhat unwieldy antennas.

Wim

Reply to
Wim Ton

The transmission is mostley encrypted, but there are some flaws. It is posible to detect the country of origin from the person. So it is posible to make a smart bom, just killing americans.

--
pim.
Reply to

Actually, according to what I have read, Americans are relatively difficult to detect (at least by interrogating the RFID in their passports), because unlike most other countries they had the foresight to include a sheet of aluminium foil on a different page to the chip (though they insist on calling it aluminum for some reason). Therefore it is much more difficult to interrogate their passports unless the pages are open.

People from other countries might be well advised to insert a sheet of foil in their passports (or put the passport in a foil envelope). It probably still doesn't completely prevent unwanted access, but the miscreants would have to use much more transmit power and the range would be less.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

"Skybuck Flying" schreef in bericht news:83ea2$496ba3e9$d5337e4d$ snipped-for-privacy@cache6.tilbu.nb.home.nl...

Stop worrying.

Throw in the microwave oven Set it on 10 seconds or something, click da button and voila.... your rf chip is broken.

more then 30 seconds will probably burn your id card. which you probably will have to pay a fine for.

Reply to
StofStuiver

It was called 'aluminum' before the British changed it to 'aluminium' in their infinte ignorance.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, if you carry one of those around, you will GET IN DUTCH!

Reply to
Robert Baer

If it's the Smartcard RFID IC's I am thinking of then the range ~ 10cm for typical reader design.

Read range performance varies with

- Antenna Diameter - large the better

- Amount of RF transmit power that can be pumped in to the RFID reader antenna. to energise the smart card.

- How sensitive the reader is with RF stray noise

RFID smartcard data is highly encrypted with security keys - so the long term probability of deciphering the information from card is very very very remote.

There are much easier ways of getting personal data from people.

Joe

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

Robert Baer wrote in news:mYWdnRYUk7m2tvHUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.localnet:

Shield it,just keep the passport in a closed foil bag. If it can't be interrogated,it can't be read.

Passive RFID range is around less than a foot.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Not on the street.

I tell wacko's to take a hike ;) and that's when I am being nice.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

I was thinking about an aluminium wallet.

Maybe some day I buy it...

But kinda sucks to be forced to be something unfashionable ;)

Not gonna fush with aluminium foil in my pocket that's stupid/inconvenient ! ;)

Some even say strong signals can still go through !

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Target those in sight and not rfid-responding. Problem solved.

-p

Reply to
Piet Beertema

You can get peoples id, buy reading there letters taken from their letter box.

eg... Gas, Electric bills etc.........

NO ELECTRONICS required

Joe

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

Don't worry, the RUSSIANS already have all of your information anyway! LOL

Reply to
Greegor