can I recover deleted doc

My small was helping me to type some doc. but he made a mistake, instead of typing a capital A he pressed the ctrl key and hit A which selected all and in an attempt to type the next letter deleted the whole doc.(this is what I think) and saved it. Please is there any way I can recover this doc? I have used a recovery software but it gave me the new doc. instead. (the software is Recover my file). Thanks in anticipation to ya help.

Reply to
fynnashba

If you didn't close the document, you might be able to restore the contents with ALT+BKSP to reverse the deletion.

If the application saves a backup file, it might be on the hard drive.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

In message , William Sommerwerck writes

Don't save any more files. Look at:

The following is copied from Pricelessware. I would use the latest version. It says it is non-install.

Restoration (v 2.5.14) Company: -- Author: Brian Kato (Freeware) LFW (v 2.5.14)

Note: There is a V3.2.13 from

Windows OS: Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP NOTES: No install; no registry entries. Languages: English Description: Restore files which are deleted from the recycle bin or deleted while holding down the Shift key by mistake. Conversely, this program has another function that makes it almost impossible to restore all deleted files. You can use it after deletion of confidential documents, embarrassing files and so on. You don't have to install it, so it doesn't leave any garbage in the PC. (You can also run it from a floppy disk.) Even if a file seems to be restored, there is no guarantee that the contents are correct. After you run the program, please check the files. You can probably restore it correctly if the drive has enough free space and if it's just after deletion. If you restore a folder, there is no guarantee that all files or folders which used to belong to the folder will be in it. If you can't find them in it, please search and restore them one by one. If you still can't find them, it's impossible to restore them. It will be almost impossible to restore any deleted files if you run the complete deletion function. To be exact, fragments of deleted files can be in last clusters of existing files or allocated and unwritten files. (Note that this function is not suitable for TOP SECRET information.) Even if you find the information of completely deleted files, their contents must be erased. If you want to erase the information too, please run the function again. Program description: download: v 2.5.14 (2003- - ) [ REST2514.EXE (193 KB)]

(desc. rev.: 2007-01-11) desc.link ACF participants notes and review comments PL2007-CD files: n/a

--
Ian
Reply to

Nope. You've done all that can be done. So that this doesn't happen again, I suggest you implement a BACKUP regimen.

This group is about repairing circuits. In the future, questions about how to use your Windoze computer belong in a group with *microsoft* in its name.

specifically
Ask there about "incremental backups".

...and since you're already using Google to post to Usenet, you should learn how to use their search engine:

JeffM

What you should've done *immediately* after the mistake would have been to hit CTRL+Z one or more times, which would've undone the deletion. Now that you've exited the program & mucked around with your file, it's probably too late to do anything about it. Still, maybe this tip will help you out the next time it happens. (& it will! ;^)

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Bob Larter

Maybe he'll learn the value of backups.

Never leave a file without a backup that you're not prepared to lose forever.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

forever.

In the early '80s, I _twice_ destroyed an hour's unsaved work by accidentally kicking the power cord out of an Apple ][.

I learned my lesson. I save files every few minutes, and never walk away from my computer without making sure that nothing is unsaved. In the case of Word, I have the "always create backup" option enabled.

You'd be amazed at the number of otherwise-intelligent people who fail to do these things.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

There used to be a HW addon for apple II's for people who accidentaly hit the reset button located on the upper right of the keyboard.

Files that I care about are backed up on three systems, one being a raid server that can lose two drives without dataloss, and on a removable drive. However, I've been remiss about having offsite backups. One housefire and I'd lose everything.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I KICKED OUT THE POWER CORD.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I heard you the first time. I was relating an issue that other apple II users had.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Ditto.

Be warned - that option in Word is nowhere near as useful as it sounds. Better to make your own backups by hand, because if you make the same mistake as the OP, Word will cheerfully, automatically, overwrite the good backup with the nuked version.

*sigh*

No, I wouldn't be.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Bob Larter

Actually, what it means "Always create a full backup copy" -- as opposed to a "difference" version. This reduces the chance of losing your work if there's a crash.

A "true" backup is (at least) on another drive.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

A true backup is not only on separate media, but is offsite preferably in multiple locations.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Exactly.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Bob Larter

to do

Good idea to save different dated draft versions then you can read them back later to check for relevance.

Reply to
JB

I've done that from my Commodore 64 days, on.

Michael A. Terrell