Trans Sec Buttigieg calls EVs "generators"

Of course, EVs don't "generate" anything, they are just a big battery. At best, they can be called a "reserve power source." Of course, once you have drained the EV's battery it won't MOVE. Using it as a power source means it must be connected to the charger which is usually in the garage, the same place that Florida officials said NOT to leave your EV. And the charger MUST be designed for bi-directional use and ONLY Ford has announced such a charger
So most EVs will be useless for this purpose, anyway.

Assuming you own a Ford Lightning AND have a bi-directional charger (which costs FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS), how long can you use the EV as a power source, anyhow? My all-electric home is currently drawing 4KW without the AC or heat pump running. The typical EV has 40 KWh of capacity. This works out to 10 hr of battery backup. The best EV has 100 KWh, meaning it will back up the house for about one day. And these calculations don't include the energy losses inherent in power conversion, so the actual times will be 10 to 20 percent less. Homes in Florida have been without power for a week, so an EV is NOT a suitable backup power source. On the plus side, the 98 KWh capacity of the Ford Lightning extended range pickup is seven times the capacity of the Tesla Power Wall. But at $81k for the CHEAPEST extended range Lightning PLUS $4k for the bi-lateral charger AND $1-2k for installation for a total cost of $87k you are FAR BETTER OFF buying a Generac home generator at $5-6k.

Reply to
Flyguy

Gnatguy:

He didn't call them generators.

"So, in an extreme event, from a neighborhood resiliency perspective, they can actually work basically like a generator"

They're asking for donations. They want to sell me an ugly hat for $30.

Reloaded the page, and now they're offering childish t-shirts too.

Reply to
corvid

Yikes. Where does 4 KW go without a/c?

What's your monthly bill?

An ev, or a gas car, is good for charging cell phones. But who wants a dead car during a power outage? Who is willing to bet on how long an outage is going to last?

Some idiot called the new GM electric truck a "power plant."

That is saying that "gasoline works basically as an engine." No, a battery IS NOT a generator - it is ONLY an energy storage device, and one of limited capacity. And there is no recharging it in a situation like this, so you are trading off mobility for convenience. As I already pointed out, it is by FAR more cost effective to install a REAL generator.

Reply to
Flyguy

That was what I read off at that moment from my energy monitoring system. I got our latest utility bill and totaled the usage for the full year; that worked out to be 2.15 KW.

As I just pointed out in my last post (which should have been obvious, but what is obvious to most is not obvious to some posters on SED). EVs might be useful for short-term outages of a few hours, but at an insanely high cost. I will bet that Generac will start running a bunch of ads in Florida. Personally, I would not go to the expense considering the very high reliability of electric power in our area, plus the fact that our power is distributed thru underground lines. But if I lived in a more rural area with a lot of trees I would think differently.

Reply to
Flyguy

What about tumbleweeds?

Reply to
corvid

Any real energy storage device has a limited capacity.

But in an emergency you won't have the opportunity. And emergencies usually get resolved rapidly, so it make sense to use up the power you have got handy to keep yourself alive until the emergency recovery services can kick in. Insisting on keeping your electric car fully charged isn't a constructive reaction in an emergency. but it is the sort of reaction you could expect from an idiot like Gnatguy.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Hey Bozo, just tell me that a BATTERY is a GENERATOR.

Reply to
Flyguy

Why would I do that? I could tell you that if you needed power urgently, and only for a short time, you should be just as happy to get it out of a battery as out of a generator, but you are much too stupid to understand that.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Like a gas tank.

Batteries and generators both convert chemical energy into electrical energy.

That was a stupid thing to point out. Nobody said to buy a truck instead of a generator.

The world is beaming with expanding wave functions. By refining, we self-actualize.

This is a real generator.

corvid

GnatSpew snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:5f252c7b-62fd-4e6f- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

No, you retarded piece of shit, but a moving mass... a car in motion can be and is in many cases, such as that of an EV which has regenerative braking incorporated into its design and function.

You are only about as stupid as a senile old ReThugLeTard can get. You are a pathetic UNamerican PUNK, at best, chump!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Because it would force you to admit that Buttigieg is a TOTAL IDIOT, which he is.

Reply to
Flyguy

ehicle to power a high efficiency inverter, works in a pinch, fuel mileage is NOT good, but those inverters give you a lot of functionality for the price, and they cut off on low battery so you can still start the vehicle. They're really intended for building contractors working on a non-electrified site, so all the big tool manufacturers sell a lot of them.

LOL! What a f****ng idiot you are!! By "all-electric" I mean EXACTLY THAT: EVERY appliance in my home, furnace, heat pump, hot water heater, dryer, washer, dishwasher, TV, microwave, coffee maker, toothbrush, etc., IS ELECTRIC.

As I have already mentioned, my average load over a YEAR is 2.1 KW.

No, you CAN'T DIY an EV-to-home inverter.

The government already has a plan to "shed loads": they cut off ALL OF YOUR POWER. PERIOD.

A home generator system needs to be designed by a licensed expert and installed by licensed electricians. Anything less is a DEATH TRAP.

Yes, you are FUCKING WRONG, Generac is a well-respected producer of standby generators. Their life expectancy is 25-30 YEARS:

Flyguy

Gnatguy really is a total idiot so he might actually believe that.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Gnatguy certainly couldn't. I probably could, but since I haven't got a local electrician's license I'd have to pay somebody else to hook it up.

The license doesn't make it safe. The expertise does. Licensed electricians are mostly fine when they are dealing with the kind of stuff they've been trained to deal with. They might have trouble with a new design.

That will be 25-30 years with regular scheduled maintenance. Gnatguy wouldn't bother.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

And you probably could build your own nuclear reactor - in YOUR OWN MIND!

The license means it conforms to electrical codes and ISN'T a death trap. BTW, I AM NOT talking about electricians, fool.

HA HA HA HA! Translation: Bozo ADMITS that he was WRONG!!!!!!

Reply to
Flyguy