tracking usage on power tool

Good morning.

I'm looking to create a circuit in a somewhat small package to fit inside a power tool that would track how many times it was plugged in or had its trigger activated. Any method of reviewing the count is fine (prefferably inexpensive). I'm a novice in electronics, and so I'm looking for some help in a general design.

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike

When you say "power tool" are you talking about something like a
mains operated table saw or a mains operated hand tool or a battery
operated hand tool or...?
Reply to
John Fields

Yes, 120VAC operated hand tool. Sorry for not including that.

Reply to
Mike

You will want a small microcontroller and a bit of flash memory, either internal to the processor (if it can self-program) or as an external chip probably with a synchronous serial interface.

You will need to write a logging routine compatible with the byte write but sector erase nature of flash memory. Probably you would do something like write a running count filling up the memory, and erasing the oldest sectors as you come close to running out of space. When you want to determine the count, you search the memory for the latest data.

For reporting, you have to decide if you want to add a connector for a "computer" to read out the usage (a logic level serial port is probably simplest) or if you want a human to determine the count without added tools. For human interface, you could do something like morse code or beep count with a little buzzer inside, though you have to have some way of triggering that. Getting fancier with readout tools, you can go through the case plastic with an ultrasonic transducer, or modulate a data signal onto the charging jack, etc - but these are not simple.

If only a few units are to be made, development cost dominates so convenient to program parts (seperate processor and SPI flash) may make the most sense. With a lot of units, their unit cost dominates and you will want to try to get everything in one small IC.

Reply to
cs_posting

Would this be a good project for a PIC microcontroller? As far as the count readout, human readable is fine, so I'll look at what you suggested in more detail. Would morse code be easiest to implement?

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

--- OK, what I'd do would be to go with a tiny microcontroller like a PIC 12F629/675

which has an internal non-volatile data EEPOM and a high-current IO you could use to drive an IRLED for reporting. Use another IO coupled to an IR receiver and you could use an IR remote control to talk to the tool and get data, erase data, etc. IR transceivers are available which would make it easy to implement the transmit/receive functions at the remote as well as at the tool.

-- John Fields Professional Circuit Designer

Reply to
John Fields

Thanks John. I'll see what I can put together given the suggestions so far.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

--
You\'re welcome. :-)

Email me if you want to contract it out.
Reply to
John Fields

Would a meter that simply counted "on" hours/mins/secs when the tool was drawing power be of use? These are widely available as power meters, that are very cheap.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

The meter would need to be enclosed in the case, so there wouldn't be much room, except for maybe a micro controller along with supporting components. Can you give me an example of what your suggesting?

Thanks.

Reply to
Mike

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Not necessarily in the tool but attached to the power cord. Use a PIC etc to count the number of seconds power is applied by measuring field produced by current flow.

Dirk

Reply to
Dirk Bruere

I understand. Thanks for clarifying.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Err, no. A commercial power meter, that is used to check the energy usage of appliances, available for the equivalent of $10us or so. It plugs into the socket, and the power tool/whatever plugs into it.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

--
You\'re welcome. :-)

Here\'s another thought: If you decide to go the IR way it would be
no trouble at all to put a display on the remote (if you wanted to
see the data there) or to retransmit it to an IR port on a PC for
whatever reason you\'d want to get the data into a computer.

Nice little project you\'ve got there!
Reply to
John Fields

I'm thinking that this is for hire tools where maybe useage means $

Dirk

Reply to
Dirk Bruere

Hi Dirk. I was afraid of that idea coming across this thread. In reality, I'm known in my hometown for the power tools, and people always borrow them without returning them promptly as promised. So, I thought it would be to see how much people are actually using them :). I suspect one neighbor is using my tools on the job somewhere. I dunno... kinda bugs me out. :)

You're not onto a bad idea there... next thing you'll see at home depot is rental charges based on the usage cycles, heh ;)

Mike

Reply to
Mike

--
How about for warranty validation?

Let\'s say that I manufacture electric drills and I change my
warrantee from 1 year to 1000 hours.  A bad drill comes in six
months after it was sold, with 2500 hours on it.  With a one year
warrantee on it I\'d have to replace it, but with 2500 hours on it
and a 1000 hour warrantee, I wouldn\'t.

Let\'s see...

That\'s my idea, but I disclosed it publically today, March 21 2006,
so I\'ve got a year to file for a patent before it goes into the
public domain.  Time to do a search...
Reply to
John Fields

There ya go. And if the device is tampered with it would void the warranty altogether :)

Good luck with the patent search!

Reply to
Mike

What about programming it to fail at 1001 hours? Ok, that's been done... ;-)

Too late for Europe and Japan though.

--
  Keith
Reply to