Touch buttons

Hi all

I just though of this when I got my new labtop - the LEDs above the keyboard work as buttons as well, e.g. the wifi led can be touched and by that turned on/off, and there are to colours. Now, dispite the LED, I am wondering how this touch system works. In theory it could react to 50hz or any noise, but when the labtop eg is away from the grid?

How would you build such a button?

I was thinking of using it for a 12V systems, for my caravan.

WBR Sonnich

Reply to
Sonnich Jensen

I should add, that it is HP Elitebook. The touch button is a transparent plastic part, probably with LEDs under it.

Reply to
Sonnich Jensen

If it doesn't take any pressure to activate, it most likely senses the capacitance of the finger. It's quite possible it's just contacts under a "dome", too.

Look up "cap-sense". You can start here:

For most uses, they suck. I would think this would be one where they would

*really* suck (motion, etc).
Reply to
krw

What is a "labtop"?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Come on silly, that's the roof or the next floor up!

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

My Dell monitor has these capacitive touch buttons. The led lights when the finger is about 1" away from it and the button activates when you touch the led. If you slowly touch the led the button does not work. If you touch around the led, the button does not work. Which makes me believe there is more than just a led in there.

Martin Riddle

Why? It could be sensing the capacitance change to the LED. There is usually a land pattern for the sense circuit, though. The fact that it doesn't do anything, if touched around the LED, suggests that there isn't, though.

Reply to
krw

Or perhaps this...

Martin Riddle

An LED sensor would tend to discriminate against people with darker skin, apparently.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Ok, there is something "more than a just an LED in there". There's two. Actually, that sounds like a better idea than cap-sense. OTOH, cap-sense sounded good, too, before I actually had any experience with it as a user.

Reply to
krw

A racist touch button?

Most palm's and fingers I see tend to be lighter skin tones, but you never know....

Martin Riddle

It may use LED as a bidirectional sensor,Paul Dietz, 2003

Lyn

Reply to
Lyndsay Williams