CMOS Digital IC's

I would be grateful if someone can suggest a (single) suitable web site that has application notes and basic circuits for the more popular CMOS digital IC range.

I want to do some basic experimenting to raise my level of knowledge in the use of these devices.

Approaching 70 I hope I am not letting myself in for too much!

JD

Reply to
JERD

The Talking Electronics website usually has some useful books, kits and circuits available to begin with:

Mark Harriss

This may result in howls of disagreement from experts. If you want to go 'free form', ie. put together a few DIP logic ICs and connect them together according to your own design, then IMO the easiest way to go is still wire wrap, at least noone has shown me a better way yet for quick prototyping.

The best sockets for DIPs by far are turned pin sockets. If you can't find these for wire wrap, then AFAIK you can still obtain 0.1" single inline headers with wire wrap on one end and a turned pin on the other. You just snip off the required lengths and insert into 0.1" spacing matrix board to make up your DIP sockets.

As far as tooling goes, all you need is a hand wire wrapper/unwrapper tool, and a couple of spools of wire wrap wire. Since you can easily unplug chips and unwrap connections, your board, sockets and ICs all become reusable. OTOH, assembly with turned pin sockets and wire wrap is actually extremely reliable, I have devices made this way that have been running for many years with no problems.

Good luck and enjoy.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

You have obviously never used a solderless breadboard.

Dave.

http://www.alternatezone.com/eevblog/
Reply to
David L. Jones

Motorola is now calling themselves 'Freescale'.

You can find their appnotes here:

Good luck! ;^)

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

I used both and found the solderless boards easier, Rockby Electronic also had em on sale once. Also I found the machined pin sockets wore out after a few insertions and the cheaper wipe contact versions lasted longer in an EPROM programmer I built.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

**This is what I purchased many years ago. It should provide a good, basic grounding in what you need to know. Included are some projects and pinouts of most popular types, along with some good theory.

As others have suggested, a solderless breadboard, a power supply and you're good to go.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

While I think of it Jerd, CMOS IC based circuits benefit from inputs that are not being used being tied to GND with a 4.7M resistor to avoid picking up mains or other interference. Also inputs that ARE being used can benefit from such a resistor to GND.

A 0.1uF capacitor across each IC's power pins helps to bypass the supply rails and finally, if you do solder up a circuit on a PCB or a breadboard PCB, make sure you clean the flux off the board with a toothbrush and metho as the flux can pass enough leakage current between the close pins of a DIP package CMOS IC to cause problems.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

I have, and for trying things out you're right, it's easier. The approach I'm suggesting is more for building something that's going to be put in a box and used.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

Well, there nothing special about the original 4000 series CMOS logic ICs over

74 series 'TTL' types except fpr the supply voltage range. They all perform much the same functions. Indeed 'TTL' types are usually these days a CMOS version of the original e.g. 74HC00.

I'd recommend learning logic functions such as combinational, latched, clocked etc and learn Karnaugh maps.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

For prototyping maybe. Use them in production and chips will 'walk' out of the sockets due to thermal cycling.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

Not true. Mototola divested itself of various 'commodity' transistor and IC / CPU lines to ON Semiconductor and Freescale.

Motorola still exists, although AFAICS only makes mobile phones now.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

I think you got yourself confused there.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

to my

Ok I'll bite... which part?

Reply to
Mark Harriss

I'm interested in your experience with chips walking out the sockets of machined pin types. What type of product and what type of vibration environment have you seen this happen in?

Reply to
GeoffC

Neve DSP boards. It was thermal cycling, although vibration could likely do it as well. For manufacturing I always use the reversed V-shape contact that grips the lead like shit sticks to a blanket. They're also inexpensive.