TO-247 dissipation...

I always bake my amps before using them. It sweetens the tone and widens the soundstage. I use the baking time to outline all of my CDs with green marker.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

Sno-o-o-ort! Accuracy of tone also improves with the number of glasses of wine consumed ;-)

...Jim Thompson

The power rating is at a case temperature of 25degC. This is normally derated linearly to zero watts at a case temperature of 150 degC, in most plastic packages. It will show up on the part data sheet.

The thermal impedance of your heatsink and case-to-heatsink interface will determine the case temperature at a specific power level.

Alternately, the permitted case temperature at any power level will tell you the thermal impedance required at any ambient temperature.

You'd normally do your calculations at the highest anticipated ambient. If you know the intended worst-case dissipation, you can monitor the heatsink or package temperature to signal the thermal limit.

RL

Reply to
legg