Convert watts to Teslas?

No. You have to know the coil current and the geometry, and do the math.

John

None, inductance is lossless.

You might have luck with VAr or volts however...

Tim

Tim Williams

I realize this depends somewhat on emitter coil efficiency ... but given an air core solenoid and sinusoidal audio frequency signal, is there anyway to approximate how many microTeslas I will get per mW?

Much thanks,

Lester

Reply to
Lester Crane

NO! Measure it; the magnetic field will vary with the signal / drive.

Reply to
Robert Baer

And ampere-turns..

Reply to
Robert Baer

I read in sci.electronics.design that Lester Crane wrote (in ) about 'Convert watts to Teslas?', on Wed, 28 Sep 2005:

No, because the field strength varies wildly with where you measure it.

In any case, you don't need ANY watts to produce the field (except for a very short time during which the field is set up). Power dissipated in the coil is just I^2R, and you can get the same field from any value of R from zero (superconducting coil) to large (thin wire, many volts required to produce the required current).

If you say what you are actually trying to do, I may well be able to help. This is an area in which I do a lot of work.

John Woodgate