Thru hole vs surface mount R's at ~100MHz.

I am Not Alone.

Jumping off boxes and landing in snow is more fun.

I did one box on Sunday. I checked for traffic, waited, and then did it, straight and fast. When I got to the end, there was a 5-year-old brat curled up on the snow, exactly where I was going to land. I had about a half a second to think it over. I could have tried to jump over him, but if I didn't make it I might have killed him. So I tried to turn, sort of tricky on a flat polyethylene surface. I did turn a little, whacked his arm, and crashed, whacking my knee ditto.

I think we'll both live. Sorry to disappoint.

Are you having any fun? It sure sounds like not.

John

I don't watch TV, so I can spend the occasional minute discussing life with morons.

John

Probably wrong!

John

or

For TV I like watching pbs science and nature shows with my kids. But it's pledge week/ month now and they just have Doo-wap and self-help crap on.

It's finally snowing here in Buffalo. I live about 25-30 miles SE of the city. It's not snowing here and all points south, and it's not snowing Downtown and areas north. But in between the lake effect snows are coming down at several inches an hour. Some spots will get several feet! The snow showers move around. It's like a wall of snow, or a huge hose. I hope it starts spraying in my direction!

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The Brat went to Cornell. It's beautiful country, but it can get, to quote Tom Waits, colder than a well-diggers ass.

John

Is "life with morons" really that much fun? I have three psychotic coworkers: The boss, the boss's son, and some woman who might or might not be the boss's girlfriend.

It's ... interesting. ;-)

And, being crazy myself, it's pretty easy to recognize the symptoms in other people. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Dumbfuck. It ain't pledge week on the Animal Planet Channel and it ain't on the Discovery Channbel or National Geographic or the History Channel.

If all you have been letting your kid watch, and/or watching yourself is PBS, you have cut yourself out of the greater portion of far better educational programming.

Hell, PBS is nothing compared to what it was, and the other channels are far better.

You do your child a disservice by not looking at the full gamut of what is out there.

Nat Geo alone is a can't miss channel. Especially for kids.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

There's that John Larkin fetish for mens' ass shinning through... again.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

You are about as full of shit as it gets.

Those morons were stupid. Stupid enough to hire an unappreciative retarded bastard like you.

Reply to
WhySoSerious?

Must be like watching home movies for you.

Reply to
JW

tor

s for

V.

Yeah, I live on the edge of the Allegheny plateau, the same type of landscape as Cornell. Enjoying cold weather is all about the proper clothes.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

at

I'm very happy living without satillite TV. (There is no cable in Java Center.) We get some nice broadcast channels from Toronto. Otherwise we can read books, play games, make things. I did just sign up for satillite internet, we'll see how that works out.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It was -8F in Truckee last weekend. I figured I didn't need to suit up just to lug the garbage down to the bear box, in my bedroom slippers. Umm, wrong. I grew up in New Orleans, basically the tropics, so I'm still getting used to the concept that being underdressed can kill you.

John

Yup, sanity is soooo boring.

John

I never said anything about satellite TV. If you are high bandwidth, you can DL nearly any show you wish these days, and watch at HD resolutions. Just pipe your second display out to your TV, or you could buy an Acer Revo, or the like, and make a nice little HTPC for your TV to get streaming media. I am not a netflix subscriber, but I saw the way the service works at a friend's house, and it is really cool, you can step through scenes and when you pick the one you want, it only buffers from that point forward, and the film begins a few seconds later from that spot. Can't do that with the regular online players.

I have a Revo ($200), added memory to 4GB (another $100), changed out the 160GB 5400rpm HD for a 300GB 7200 rpm HD (another $100), and added an external slimline BluRay drive. It runs XBMC, which is Linux OR Windows based, and that is your multimedia center software. It makes it like a juke box. Your movies, your photos, you songs, etc., and it can always return to the base operating system as well, to work as a normal computer (pretty fast too). It is an Atom with an Nvidia gpu, and it does HD streams from the BD drive, into the decode engine, and back out to the graphics display without hiccups. Pretty fast little PC for only being 8" x 8" x 1.5". It also pumps 2 displays as it has both DVI and HDMI out.

So, for my $400 investment, I have a great little Home Theater PC as an item which provides additional programming capacity to my TV room.

What? Blue Wave? That is a damn good service.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

mentor

factors for

How about doing so privately instead in a crowded room?

Reply to
josephkk

mentor

tors for

r HV.

ife

er

I'm a total temperature whimp! I put long johns on in October and don't take them off till the spring. But I totally love being bundled up outside in the freezing cold. (A good scarf is key.)

"It was -8F in Truckee last weekend."

I wish it would get that cold here. There's this creek running through a ravine that makes up the back border of our property. When it freezes over it becomes our "Winter wonder land". Amazing what waterfalls turn into.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

" What? Blue Wave? That is a damn good service."

No Hughesnet.

Reply to
George Herold

You have obviously never walked the streets of New York City.

This is not crowded by any stretch of the term's definition.

Reply to
OutsideObserver

At like $150 a month?

Or the "new" cheaper $90 a month, not even as fast as ISDN was stuff?

WildBlue (I screwed the name up royally) is pretty good stuff. Don't know if your area is covered or not.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox