This Networking Thing is Getting OLD!

I tried to use the network to transfer files again today and it's back to n ot working. I checked the settings and everything I am aware of is set cor rectly. The advanced sharing options are set to enable network discovery a nd file and printer sharing is enabled. The hard drive on each machine is set to enable sharing. One machine can see the other and access the hard d rive, but not the other way. Both machines ping each other but neither can remote desktop into the other now.

The machine that is no longer visible got updated a day or two ago. Coinci dence? I think not!

I just wish I knew what to do about it.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

I use rsync, scp, or sshfs, and they just work. Windows netbios/SMB/samba is a mess.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Then remove the update and disable updates. Or you could give up on that free Win 10 and get an OS they felt justified in charging money for like Win 7.

My next step is Linux even if I have to pay more to upgrade the hardware to be able to run emulators. Then I might be looking for my old copy of Win 98SE.

Reply to
jurb6006

You guys seem to suspect a recent update to Windows 10 is the culprit? In that case, you might sneak a peak at Settings > Apps & Features

Microsoft unchecked SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing support for your own good. It's a security update. They call it security when they make my job harder. :0) If you re-check SMB and apply, networking may again work for you ... or not. It's always a crap-shoot, no?

Note.

73,
--
Don Kuenz, KB7RPU
Reply to

that's like going back to a 1920s car that bits keep falling off as you drive. But without the style.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Thanks for the suggestion, but SMB 1.0 was enabled.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

XP was last know good here when it came to network access (and a lot of other things). It always worked. With Windows 7 it started to depend on who knows what. Some days it works, other days it works after a while, occasionallty not at all.

That is sometimes one of the best remedies. I have a car without electric this, that and the other thing. It has afforded me 21 years of zero trouble. It always works.

On 20's cars nothing has to fall off:

I still use an electric drill from that era and it is almost indestructible. My grandpa bought it as a young lad, used:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Windows networking is certainly a mess but it can be made to work OK.

Most likely the offending newer machine requires you to create a guest account to allow remote access to files remotely.

Older windows machines would let anybody into networked shared drives no questions asked. Other possibility is misconfigured firewall somewhere.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Martin Brown wrote in news:pdef6u$eeg $ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

back

of

hard

see

other

no

somewhere.

When you shut down, use the shift key as you press the shutdown menu choice to gain a full shut down, and then restart again.

Have you named your "workgroup" on said machines/network?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

of

ard

see

The two machines run the same version of Windows 10 and were working just a couple of weeks ago. Before that I had the same problem sharing files bet ween a Win 10 Home machine and either of these.

Tons of web sites make it sound easy giving the same instructions over and over again with a few tweaks. But then some sites explain how there are se veral ways to share files. So it does seem complex, but only when it doesn 't work of course.

Rick

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

What's a "full shutdown"? If you are talking about the "quick" startup thi ng, I turned that off... but then that was before the recent notable update .

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

not working. I checked the settings and everything I am aware of is set c orrectly. The advanced sharing options are set to enable network discovery and file and printer sharing is enabled. The hard drive on each machine i s set to enable sharing. One machine can see the other and access the hard drive, but not the other way. Both machines ping each other but neither c an remote desktop into the other now.

cidence? I think not!

Thought I'd provide an update if anyone is interested. Seems the recent up date did change a setting, but not in the way I was looking for. Further d igging on the Internet found some sites I hadn't seen before. Seems the re cent Win 10 update turns off a service that performs the network discovery function. So I had to set that to automatic startup again and both machine s can now see each other and share files. But remote desktop only works on e way now while it was working in both directions before. Still, accessing the files is a bit improvement.

The service that was turned off is called, "Function Discovery Resource Pub lication". This was mentioned in an article addressing, "Network Computers are Not Visible in Windows 10 Version 1803" at winaero.com. Not sure why it is called version 1803 other than it came out in April of 2018... wait, that would be 1804!... well, I guess they couldn't change the name and it g ot released a bit late. The point is this version number doesn't show up a nywhere in the reporting by Windows. Windows says it is Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134. I guess 1803 is the "marketing" name.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

indestructible. My grandpa bought it as a young lad, used: "

I had one that had been my Grandfather's and used it until it started giving me electric shocks. There was a heavy bent wire doodad on the (long) cord that held the chuck key. Fancy that, a good, simple idea that worked !

Reply to
jurb6006