Insulators

I bought a big potted neon sign transformer on ebay, but both of the hv insulators were destroyed in transit (this is me, having a positive attitude...).

Anyway, I'm wondering where I might get some new ones to replace the broken ones? Any ideas? They (were) about 5cm long, 4.5cm wide, round, with bolts on the ends:

|-| |-| |-| - ==| |=| |=| | | | | | | | |={} 4.5cm ==| |=| |=| | | |-| |-| |-| -

------ 5cm ---|

They look like the kinds of things on power poles, only smaller.

There are pictures of what is left of them here if you don't like my ascii art:

Thanks, Bob Monsen

Reply to
Bob Monsen

Take a ceramics class and make your own? ;-) (or go to the hobbies and crafts store, and see if they can give you some pointers...)

Otherwise, surplus stores, search for "steatite insulators", etc.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

See if a local sign shop has a bad transformer, and will let you 'harvest' the insulators.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Epoxy a couple of plastic tubes where the insulators were. Extend the HV leads out, as wires or bolts. Then fill the hollow tubes with epoxy or silicone caulk.

John

On Nov 23, 9:52=A0am, John Larkin wrote: Epoxy a couple of plastic tubes where the insulators were. Extend the > HV leads out, as wires or bolts. Then fill the hollow tubes with epoxy > or silicone caulk. >

SIlicone caulk is _conductive_ until it fully cures so BE PATIENT if you take this route.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

SIlicone caulk is _conductive_ until it fully cures so BE PATIENT if you take this route.

Thanks John and stratus46. I'll give this a try. I have some epoxy laying around. Much easier than trying to re-pot the monster, which looks to be a nightmare.

Regards, Bob Monsen

Reply to
Bob Monsen

If you pull an arc between the ends, it makes a nice soft bzzzzzz sound. Add an old TV set doorknob cap across the ends, and the arc goes BZZZZZAAATTT!

John