the situation is worse than you thought

I went into McDonald's with my kids and ordered a Happy Meal with Chicken McNuggets. The guy at the register asked me what size McNuggets I would like, and I replied "A half-dozen."

He then informed me that they don't have the option to order a half-dozen, and that the only choices were four or six.

Just to be sure, I asked him, "I can't get a half-dozen, but I can get six?" He confirmed that this was correct.

I ordered six.

Reply to
Pepe Papon

Call the manager over next time and get him/her to confirm this.

Reply to
Beldin the Sorcerer

Snipping is good, so everyone doesn't have to read down lines of quoted text. The purpose of snipping is not to hide what was said, it is to make this nonsense at least readable.

--
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and
deserve to get it good and hard."

What was it you said again?

Reply to
Androcles

"~M~"

Paul is roaring and this guy comes along and shoves a sliver of bamboo under his toenail in a most unfriendly way ... and you come along and want to cut off his foot. That is not a pleasant story at all.

Reply to
da pickle

Or it could be against the rules of the management.

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

The service provider has to choose between breaking the service rules of the establishment or telling you no substitutions. The worker is screwed no matter what s/he chooses to do.

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

I'm not trying to be argumentative and I don't want to drag this thread out unnecessarily. But originally he wanted the 12-oz cup to be about 3/4 full. How could he expect a normal everyday waitress to judge and stop filling it at 7 ounces? I could see if he had asked her for half full.

-Paul Popinjay Asst. Coordinator, Rec.Gambling.Poker

Reply to
Paul Popinjay

Right. How does she know that RichD's concept of 3/4 is correct?

--
John
Reply to

You're the girls dad, right?

Reply to
Don Bowey

Don't let it bother you. We understand.

Reply to
Don Bowey

There will always be people that get confused if they have to count by

2's, are given something that they are not familiar with then asked to explain it, or cannot tell the difference between a documentaru and a commercial. They believe the commercial and question the documentary and what it is really trying to say. All I can say is that I hope that these people do not reproduce as they pull down the gene pool.. On a personal level, ...I share your concerne....

Don

Reply to
Las Vegas Don

ake a

tty

p.

Having worked in foos in the past, ...it should have not been such a big issue with her. She puts hot water in the cup, then tosses enough out to make her happy as if it were her order. I can find comfort with her inabilities as they do not belong to me. What really is my concerne is her inability to handel the situation, in any productive fashion, to a productive solution. A customer asks for a cup about

70% full of hot water, three quarters full, whatever, She could not process the issue, period and end of statement. She could not think, process info or find options. What customer would be equally as dumb as to sit there and do the mental exercise of analyzing the cup of water. If I wand tea I put "some" water in a cup, toss in a teabag and let nature do her stuff. The person could nt think, process info. Frankly, neither can customers. Customers think that that just because they walk into a business that they understand everything, when they infact, do not. They do not understand that hamburgers do not come in "medium, medium well", etc... They ask for things that do not exist, refuse to say thank you or excuse me, talk to workers backs and wonder why no one heard them (in communication mutual recognition is a fulcrum point) and really show ignorance. They ask the dumbest questions and think that you dare not respond truthfully as it would embarass them that you re dumb. Just because you have money in your hand does not mean that you know what is up. The thing with the water is a bit much tho. Just put hot water in the cup almost full. Geeez. :)

Don

Reply to
Las Vegas Don

There was the guy at Subway where I often get the $3.99 "Fresh Value Meal" which they informally call the "daily special." With tax the cost is $4.27, so I gave him $5 bill and 27 cents. The first time he looked at what I gave him, gave me the change back, then entered $5 into the register and gave me the 73 cents in change. I did that again with him a few days later, and he pulled out a CALCULATOR, apparently subtracting the $4.27 cost of the sandwich from the $5.27 I gave him. It must have taken him an excruciating 30+ seconds to do this, but he finally gave me back a dollar bill in change. The 'good' news is he didn't last two weeks there, and the rest of the kids who work there seem to be reasonably knowledgable.

And you'd think since they make the sandwich while you wait that Subway would be slower than more "traditional" fast-food places, but I've had to wait longer at McDonalds for a double cheeseburger, and it's a lot less healthy...

I, and I think most other people, perhaps even the OP, would be happy if the waitress had just assumed (even without thinking about it to this detail) the cup was cylindrical and eyeballed a point 3/4ths the height and filled it to there. I imagine that's what the OP intended. Unfortunately, it appears the waitress was having trouble even with that. Calculations of the actual difference in fluid this calculation gives versus the volume of a 3/4ths full-by-volume conical-section cup are left to the reader.

Reply to
Ben Bradley

What is THIS, Kyle? Are you suddenly the new coordinator here? What makes you think I don't have this situation already under control? Wtf is your problem?

-Paul Popinjay Asst. Coordinator, Rec.Gambling.Poker

Reply to
Paul Popinjay

Paul Popinjay, my dear, dear friend, there was this time, oh, 10/1/2008

12:32 PM, or thereabouts, when you let the following craziness loose on Usenet:

I'm doing meta-work here, Popinjay. This is very confusing for me... don't know which sock to use!

Cheers.

Reply to
Kyle T. Jones

Nobody said anything about "seven ounces". Go check the original post. All that he said was "about 3/4 full". So, she eyeballs halfway up the side and then about halfway from there to the top. Bingo, "about 3/4".

No number of ounces, seven or otherwise, was in the original post. Somebody who's qualified to be the waitress's co-worker made that up in a followup.

--
Michael F. Stemper
#include

What's it matter? 3/4 of the way to the top is still "halfway up the side and then halfway from there to the top".

I just wanted to set this statement off and look at it, all by itself.

--
Michael F. Stemper
#include
91.2% of all statistics are made up by the person quoting them.
Reply to
Michael Stemper

No, Michael, I think someone DID mention seven ounces. Maybe it is YOU who needs to go back and check the original post. But before you do that, Michael, let me refresh everyone's memory that I am the Assistant Coordinator on Rec.Gambling.Poker. And I am not used to being told to go back and check or re-read something. If I comment on something first and you do not understand it then I suggest that YOU need to do the re-checking. Back to the original post, in case you were too lazy to pay attention, it SAID that the paper cup was 12-ounces! Ok? Then he asked her to fill it about 3/4 full. NOW do you see where I got the seven ounces from? It was IMPLIED! And yes, I realize he said "about". I'm not so anal that I can't give or take a dram here or there. So for all you nit pickers, let's just call it ABOUT 7 ounces! Ok? Sheesh!

-Paul Popinjay Asst. Coordinator, Rec.Gambling.Poker

Reply to
Paul Popinjay

This would be true, but you are making the same mistake in assuming that the cup was actually 12 ounces. If it was in fact 14 ounces, wouldn't you end up under-filling the cup if you did it as you just suggested? Think about it. I have plenty of patience and I like helping people.

best regards,