The Light bulb Cartel

-----------

** Correct - one of which you just dragged up and foisted on us.

** The alleged nature of purpose is the myth.

You stupid, lying f****it.

** Don't bother - it is all wild conspiracy theory garbage written by some know nothing nut case.

Close relative of yours maybe ?

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Ya, go ahead clip the the part that refutes your claim of myth.

Myth: a widely held but false belief or idea.

Their seems to be evidence that the cartel did exist, with even more recently found documents in just the past 5 years.

Did you get ahead of yourself on this?

The OP was meant to be sent to a friend I breakfast with. I had mentioned a story I heard on NPR about the Pheobus Cartel. I wanted to add some more info, so I sent him the wiki, I didn't read it, I expected it to just confirm what I had said. I still haven't read it.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

----------------

** The alleged nature of the purpose is the myth.

You stupid, lying f****it.

The SCAM was selling long life bulbs that wasted power and buyers money on the FALSE pretext they were automatically better.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The point is it wasn't conspiring. 1000hr lamps are lewer TCO for end users than longer lived ones.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

1000hr is not near optimal. I used to run some domestic filament lamps at 3 00hr to get more light from wattage limited fittings, and better TCO. 1000 hours was chosen because end users were more accepting of it, they were hap pier paying the premium for only replacing lamps 1/3 as often.

Optimal lamp life also varies a lot depending on lamp type. High price PAR3

8s are optimal at longer life, cheap A line were optimal at well below 1000 hours. Of course if you're using PAR38s you aren't trying to optimise TCO anyway, which pushes ideal life longer.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

-------------------------

** So 10% more volts: 1.1^12 = 3.1 ??

** Halogen lamps and low voltage lamps tend to last longer.

120V, 1000W PAR64s last about 3000 hours even in entertainment applications.

As usual, the power to run them costs way more than new lamps.

Good thing for lighting rig guys they never have to pay for it.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

he

me

You mean like BMWs?

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Yes. People's time is worth something too.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

BMW and Mercedes have made some excellent, reliable cars too they're not all overpriced maintenance nightmares coasting on name alone, just some.

Reply to
bitrex

I think it was Phil who opined however that when the Germans screw it up they really screw it up good and thorough they don't half-ass it.

Reply to
bitrex

the

come

wn

!!

om

ns

I have fond memories of the BMW 1600 and 2002 tii which were both very nice cars to drive if not to own. I remember meeting someone who had a two or three year old 2002 and it was rusting below the rear side windows as he ex plained it happened to all of them. Not if, but when. It took the Japanes e to show all the world how to actually care enough to make reliable cars. That's very ironic given the bad reputation Japanese goods had after WWII.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

of the

become

n a

SA

ith

down

.

om

d !!

for

from

ain

t.

mans

.

ce cars to drive if not to own. I remember meeting someone who had a two o r three year old 2002 and it was rusting below the rear side windows as he explained it happened to all of them. Not if, but when. It took the Japan ese to show all the world how to actually care enough to make reliable cars . That's very ironic given the bad reputation Japanese goods had after WWI I.

There's no irony involved. The Japanese merely learned to do manufacturing correctly, and ended up making a fetish of quality control, to the extent t hat Japanese "quality circles" and similar approaches were being taught- fo r money - in the West in the 1980's.

If people making stuff didn't learn to do it better, we wouldn't have much progress anywhere.

The US political process could use a bit of that kind of attention. The US constitution has been amended from time to time, but not nearly enough.

People like James Arthur claim - straight-faced - that the founding tax eva ders were divinely inspired and got everything pretty much perfect. Then yo u elect Donald Trump ... who James Arthur doesn't find as execerable as he ought to.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Yup, about 10% voltage boost. Originally done with a buck transformer, but can be done more easily with a rectifier & small cap to fill in the valleys a bit. The latter approach adds more issues of course.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

t 300hr to get more light from wattage limited fittings, and better TCO. 10

00 hours was chosen because end users were more accepting of it, they were happier paying the premium for only replacing lamps 1/3 as often.

Yup. If moderately organised it takes what, 20 seconds to change a bulb. So me of course aren't so organised and going out can take them half an hour o r more.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

.

ce cars to drive if not to own. I remember meeting someone who had a two o r three year old 2002 and it was rusting below the rear side windows as he explained it happened to all of them. Not if, but when. It took the Japan ese to show all the world how to actually care enough to make reliable cars . That's very ironic given the bad reputation Japanese goods had after WWI I.

IIRC the Japanese had the law to thank, a law that required repairs etc to be provided to customers' premises. This raised the cost of field repairs c onsiderably, motivating greater reliability.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

20 seconds? It go to a store, buy a bulb, pay for it, set up a ladder, unscrew the often corroded old bulb, screw in the new one, stash the ladder, trash the old bulb. 20 seconds. Maybe a few seconds more if there is a shade or a screwed-on glass cover to deal with. In the dark.

Actually, I need a couple of these.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

at 300hr to get more light from wattage limited fittings, and better TCO.

1000 hours was chosen because end users were more accepting of it, they wer e happier paying the premium for only replacing lamps 1/3 as often.

Some of course aren't so organised and going out can take them half an hour or more.

Especially if you have to climb a ladder or such to replace it. Not every bulb is in a table lamp. I have lights on my fan that require a 14 foot la dder to change or you have to lean out over a balcony to pull the fan towar d you. That light doesn't get used much.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

nd

s at 300hr to get more light from wattage limited fittings, and better TCO. 1000 hours was chosen because end users were more accepting of it, they we re happier paying the premium for only replacing lamps 1/3 as often.

Some of course aren't so organised and going out can take them half an hou r or more.

If you're disorganised, yes. The sensible thing is to have them in stock, e specially if you're running 300hr bulbs

wrong fittings for 300 hr bulbs

we use bayonet lamps. I don't think I've ever had a corroded one from indoo r service. They take less than a second to remove.

In reality: walk to the bulb cupboard, take bulb out, reach into fitting & remove old o ne, put new one in. About 20 seconds.

574348276&sr=8-2

Another fitting not suitable for 300 hours :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr