Thanks for the help! (DIY magnetometer)

Hello,

A couple of months back I needed some help with a magnetometer I was building. I had problems choosing the right material for the torsion spring.

With help from this group, the magnetometer is now complete and working fine for more than a month:

Thanks!

- Alex

Reply to
Alexander Avtanski

Nice job Alex! That is really cool.

It wasn't clear to me, did you use the copper torsion band for hanging the mirror?

Can tell me a little about the schematic, Specifically In 2 and JP 1 , I'm thinking part of calibration. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Thanks.

Yup, I used the copper torsion band. I'll have to update the text to make this clear.

Regarding IN2 and JP1: The data logger is the same device that I used in several other projects before installing it [semi]permanently in the magnetometer. IN2 is for a different kind of sensor - it provides DC decoupling capacitor. JP1 is for switching between the inputs - it is actually embedded in the sensor cable, so depending on what kind of sensor I plug in, it gets connected in different place.

Regards,

- Alex

Reply to
Alexander Avtanski

Cool. What's up with the 9:00 PM dip?

Entropy: When your shoelace comes untied, you can't fix it
         by walking backwards.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

This is the regular daily variation of the magnetic field. The exact time of the dip depends where you are located on Earth, but it more or less remains constant from day to day. Here is more info:

Alexander Avtanski

on

Just one more thing - this daily variation is caused by ionospheric currents high in the atmosphere. I find it really exciting that and cool thinking about the fact that a simple device buried in my garden can monitor something that's happening at the edge of space...

Reply to
Alexander Avtanski