Telephone Tip/Ring Question

May he RIP.

Neither one will be at "earth ground". If one is, then you have a fault and most likely hum and distortion.

Now, as to the polarity, at any point from the end office to you, the pair can be flipped. Just test it with a DVM. Be careful when testing, as you can get bit with the ringing voltage and it can hurt.

tm

Reply to
tm

I was a "victim" of this once. I had just moved into a new apartment, back when the Telco guy had to come in to hook up the phone. I finally got all moved in, and picked up the phone to call whoever to tell them I was moved in, and the touch-tone didn't work. I got dial tone, but when I pressed the touch-tone buttons, all it did was blank the dialtone, and go back to dialtone when I let the button up.

I "flashed the hookswitch (switchhook?)" - you know, in the old movies, when they'd rattle the button or rattle that hook where the earpiece hung on the _really_ old phones - "clickety, clickety, Hello, Operator?" - ten times, because I knew that that was how the old dial phones worked - it simply interrupted the current loop - and finally the operator answered. I told her what the problem was, and she said, "Oh, sounds like polarity."

They sent out a Telco guy, who swapped the red and green leads, and I had touch-tone. If they'd told me that that was all it needed, they could have saved a service call, but I was but a mere customer.

I suppose I could have figured it out - I was a tech at the time, after all, but hey, I think it was illegal to mess with your own phone back in those days.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

They're like the glans and prepuce[1] of the conceptually penile phone plug.

Hope This Helps! Rich [1] or Forced Infant Genital Mutilation scar.

Reply to
Rich Grise

Nice going, you mental deficient. Drug your children yet again?

Reply to
m II

Very much depended on the office involved. Panel & XY, yes; X-bar nope. I can't recall what step did.

David Lesher

OK, it's not my turn, but "on hook" means it's hung up, the current loop is open circuit, and "off hook" means it's in your hand, and the current loop switch is closed, and current is flowing.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Sorry, I just noticed my typo. I meant to say *why* is on, or off, hook called on, or off, hook? (not what it does).

Of course, we could also ask why is it called "hung up" when you put down the handset (or push end call)?

Reply to
flipper

Sorry, I just noticed my typo. I meant to say *why* is on, or off, hook called on, or off, hook? (not what it does).

Of course, we could also ask why is it called "hung up" when you put down the handset (or push end call)?

Reply to
flipper

Because on the earliest phones the physical implementation was quite literally a hook or pair of hooks on which the microphone or handset was hung when the caller had finished and its weight opened the loop.

Same reason. Originally you did literally hang up the phone. More modern ones used microswitches on the cradle to do the same job.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

IIRC, step didn't reverse the line, but I don't remember the final stages of the connector that well anymore, so it is possible it did...

Charlie Former SxS Equipment Maintainer

Reply to
Charlie E.

I always thought that line-reversal (or applying a voltage) was used to hang up a call you didn't originate. ...Jim Thompson

Jim, did you finally get some useful info? Assuming that Verizon and others for traditional analog telephone service are following the old Western Electric (Ma Bell) standards, then the on-hook DC voltage between Tip and Ring should be nominally 48 VDC. If you measure (either Tip or Ring - I don't remember which one) to earth ground you will also see 48 VDC since one side of the central office battery is connected to earth ground. From an AC (voice frequency) standpoint both Tip and Ring are balanced to earth ground (for hum reduction) with a nominal line/set impedance of 600 ohms. The AC and DC aspects of the line are kept isolated via chokes and/or repeating coils, which are required in a common-battery (as opposed to local battery) telephone system in order to prevent the shorting out of the audio by the central office battery.

Now in "ancient" times two-party line ringing was accomplished by connecting the phone's ringer from Tip-to-earth ground on one subscriber's set and from Ring-to-ground on the other subcriber's set. This also had to be wired appropriately on the central office's ringing equipment. Connecting subscriber set ringers in this manner adds a very slight amount of hum due to the unbalancing of the phone line (but not much due to the ringer coil high impedance).

AFAIK all ringing these days is bridged (ringer connected Tip-to-Ring) so ringing-to-ground would probably not work. This is also worth remembering if you ever desire to hook-up an antique phone (e.g. a WE type 500 or 2500 set) to your phone line and find the ringer non-operative (unless you want it that way). The ringer should be connected to the incoming phone line red and green wires with no ringer wire connected to the yellow or black one. Sincerely,

--
John Wood (Code 5520)        e-mail: wood@itd.nrl.navy.mil
Naval Research Laboratory

Charlie is correct Jim. Polarity reversal indicated a call was answered.

Perhaps you recall the early days of third party long distance carriers... The tone pad on the calling phone was often disabled, presumably by the polarity reversal, which made it impossible to enter the long distance codes for a third party carrier. Personally, I carried a pocket dialer which stored touch tone sequences in a calculator size device. I would hold it to the phone transmitter to complete the call.

In the days of fiber optic links, a polarity reversal is ancient history.

Jon

Jon

The past... it's all coming back to me ;-)

The house has only 3-pair, but if I keep careful track of the wiring, this will work:

TIP1-----------o------------------o | | RINGER1 PHONE1 | | RING1----------)------------------o | | | TIP2-----------)------o-----------o | | | | RINGER2 PHONE2 | | | RING2----------)------)-----------o | | | | | | TIP3-----------o------)-----------o | | FROM BLOCKERS | NO PHONE LINE CONNECTION OR PHONE | | RING3-----------------o-----------o

The blockers will pass ring on legitimate calls only... all 800 numbers go bye-bye ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Right, they are at frame ground potential at the central office! And, there is no reason to be sure the two lines are from the SAME CO! Ours are not. One is from the real CO, the other is from an RT a couple blocks away.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Nope. That's been automagic for years. Hang up for X seconds. Step may not have had it; XB surely did. It came into being because the Jesse James Gang's successors would call all the bank's numbers, locking them up, THEN rob the place.

What's going away/gone is CPC; Calling Party Control. It momentarily dropped loop current on the CALLED line when the caller hung it.

It was there to handle the abandoned call, where you called Microsoft Support and were put on hold for 2 years; or Bell Repair, for that matter. It came into being with the 1A key system "HOLD" feature, but also helped on answering machines.

But that's almost all gone; many remotes (SLC-types) have no way to interrupt the loop current. Amazingly, the ARRIS ATA's used by ComCrap and other cable carriers do seem to have it.

David Lesher

.......................Bell's

Unless it was a long rural loop, which was where you found many party lines... Then the hum was an issue.

NotBell used tuned ringers; there were FOUR plans, as I recall:

20, 30, 40, 50 Hz 22, 33, 44, 55 16.66, 33.33, 50, 66.66 16, 30, 42, 54, 66

I can no longer remember all the names....

David Lesher

Fail....I bet.

Why not just leave the ringers on the third pair? You can either use one side to ground, or bias: a ringer [not a tweedledeedle, a ringer..] can be set so DC bias one polarity to inhibit it from ringing. Pick up a Lorain Products Sub_Cycle to make the

20 Hz. you'll need.
David Lesher

Naaaah! That works. Trace it out. ...Jim Thompson

Digikey was selling a small ring generator module, the last time I looked.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell