Technical Manual

Ah, no. executable launching is mediated by the operating system (execve() system call), not by a shell, and it does not use mime to pick the interpreter (if one is needed).

OTOH xdg-open uses mime.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

In the 90's we did this. Designed an ultrasound machine that ran on a PC and if the user needed any read-up it came up as HTML in the browser. At first the OS was QNX and later this got ported to Windows NT4.0. I don't know about modern Windows anymore because personally I switched to Linux. It's the same there, lots of software and HW-control routines open the help files in the broweer upon request, as HTML.

Reply to
Joerg

It's simple enough: Just refer your browser to an URL like file:///path/to/desired/html/file.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman