tea and toast

Sorry, I did not interpret the smiley correctly or maybe just missed it.

Reply to
dcaster

Yes, too much DHMO.

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

Even if the water was pure to start with, you'll get some metallic ions from hot water sitting in a metal pot or kettle. I don't believe that the dissolved gases having already been driven off is a factor.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Your water must be pretty nasty. Where do you live, Flint?

Reply to
krw

That made me ponder. I wonder what tea made with deuterium oxide would taste like?

A little bit heavy, maybe? ;-)

--

Jeff
Reply to

I've always lived with one of the cleanest water supplies in the world. That's why I can taste the impurities that do occur.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Then your kettle shouldn't be rotting. BTW, water has no taste (try drinking DI water). The taste *is* the impurities.

Reply to
krw

On Friday, July 15, 2016 at 2:05:42 PM UTC-7, Phil Hobbs wrote: ...

Nice calculations but I don't think the external surface is thermally groun ded.

I measured it with an infra red thermometer so I'm not sure of accuracy, it didn't make any difference to the measurement when I put black tape on the kettle rather than the white plastic.

This is a plastic kettle with a wall thickness of 3mm, I think 4mm for a gl ass kettle is probably excessive, it's more likely to be 1-2mm.

With a thinner glass and the surface to ambient thermal resistance I think there will be much less difference between a metal and glass kettle in the heat loss than your calculation shows.

kevin

Reply to
kevin93

That's right. The point is to estimate the relative contributions of the walls and the air. In the aluminum-wall case, the air obviously dominates. In the glass-wall case, th situation is more mixed.

And if you're willing to handle 2 litres of boiling water in a 1-mm thick container, I admire your courage more than your wisdom!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

More body...

--

Rick C
Reply to

Hah, Phil you were never a Boyscout. A standard trick is boiling water in a folded up paper bowl.... Or other porous container. (You need to think about getting it off the fire before you start.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

A standard trick is boiling water in

Or other porous container.

Sure I was, except in Canada they're just called 'scouts'. All my troop ever did was play floor hockey, so I quit after a year.

I've boiled stuff in paper, but unless you're stuck in the north woods someplace it's a stunt rather than something one wants to do before having one's first bit of morning caffeine.

Cheers

Phil "turning caffeine into technology since 1981" Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs