tea and toast

You don't ride a bike then? Kamikaze cyclists are not the issue.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Well, they've regulated beer glasses.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

When I was in the USSR (it still was the USSR) cars were not allowed to use headlights in Moscow at night. Only out on the highway.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Some cars drive with sidelights on, some don't. It is not an age-related distinction.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

the

nd

the

end

her

er

ould

ual

iced.

arge

me,

mandating

rive

hts

r and the regular light must automatically turn on when it gets dark

Brussels doesn't have any kind of unlimited appetite for regulating things

- much though the Daily Telegraph likes telling us that it does.

If the civil servants get too enthusiastic, their politcal masters - effect ively the national governments - rein them in.

So what. They don't need to put on a different mark for each differnt count ry in the EU. Makes life easier for the sales stuff, and keeps the producti on machinery running steadily, rather than switching between batches of gla sses for different countries. This is what the EU is all about - it started off as a customs union, and that's still one of it's major advantages.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The UK regulated beer glasses before the EU existed.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I'm sure the US must have 'weights and measures' standards too.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

I recall wine and beer glasses in Germany having a line marking the proper fill level... some 20+ years ago... before EU. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Sounds like the EU will not be selling many kettles or toasters to the rest of the world....

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Not for beer in a glass. When we get a beer at a bar, it's not usually quantitative. Sometimes we can order a pint, or a 22 oz glass, but usually we just order a beer.

Zeitgeist will make me a small beer if I need to stay awake that afternoon.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Higher delta-T makes them less efficient, no?

Reply to
krw

You mean that there might be something more important than efficiency?

Reply to
krw

Got out just in time!

lunatic fringe electronics

Yeah, like the 5 CHP[*] shop vacs with NEMA-15 plugs and 16ga power cords?

But they do. Low-flush toilets. Water restrictors. Banned light bulbs.

[*] Crapsman Horse Power
Reply to
krw

My Audi has front running lights, and sometimes I forget to turn on the headlights as it gets dark, because it looks like they are already on.

Yup.

lunatic fringe electronics

Banger packaging crossed the line, too.

Reply to
krw

There is no US standard on beer glasses. I've seen them in bars from five to 23oz.

Reply to
krw

I don't know about another layer, but it won't change the way the Brits make cars if they want to sell into the EU. I suppose they can make a different version for the UK market, but is it worth it?

--

Rick C
Reply to

You aren't in Brittan either. The UK has has marked beer glasses for many years. I think it comes with a Royal seal.

But Wikipedia says in the Republic of Ireland they are switching to the CE marked glasses.

Rick C
Reply to
rickman

Um, SR implied that the US must have a similar sort of law. Of course, we don't. Indeed, very few such laws on the federal level (but I'm sure that will change).

Reply to
krw