EOL/ROHS checking software

Hi, all,

I just got off the phone with a customer who's all hot for our gizmo to have no obsolete parts for 3 years, and to pass ROHS 3.

Apparently there is software for this, from IHS and possibly others, which sounds potentially useful. A few questions:

  1. How commonly is it used?

  1. Is it any good?

  2. What does it cost? (Sounds expensive.)

  1. Do your CMs offer that as a service?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

These services do the grunt work of gathering information. If you don't want to hire someone to do it, then its cost effective to use them. If your doing robs then reach Is right behind it.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Reply to
Martin Rid

Phil, I have no idea. And I have no idea how you promise that something won't go away in three years... but you could promise to find a replacement if it does. (unless it's some boutique/ unique part. 'The' diode laser. Then suggest a three year buy.) George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Probably your only protection against EOL is to have several sources.

lunatic fringe electronics

RoHS 3 isnt so bad, they added Plasticizers. The stuff that makes rubber very soft and pliable. It's silly because the same compounds are in the Reach list.

These services, there a few, will find all the RoHS/Reach info (Full material declarations) and present them to you.

You can do it on BOMcheck.net but you will find it is time consuming. You really need a chemical engineering degree.

Martin Riddle

I've got a bunch of circuits with ~1uF film caps.. low dissipation. LTB (life time buy) for many. Well there's still some... We should be able to count on someone making a good 2.2 uF (or whatever) cap.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold