Reduce voltage of DC adapter without reducing current

I have instant hot water heaters which take 2 X 1.5 batteries = 3V. I want to replace the battereies with DC adapters we have. The adapters have various voltages. I tried to drop the voltage by adding a resistor to the circuit, but then the current drops too low for the unit to fire up. Is there anything I can do? The measurements are:

Batteries: 3.36V, 22.2mA

DC Adapter, no resistor added: 5.9V, 22mA (Why does the current not increase with the increased voltage?)

DC Adapter, resistor added: 5.9V, 15 mA and unit doesn't fire.

One unit is running OK using the DC adapter without a resistor, but I think it would be risky to use the higher voltage adapters without reducing the output voltage to near 3V.

Reply to
suputnic

Yes.
Reply to
John Fields

There is something weird about these measurements. The battery measurement is giving 0.075 Watts, which is not much for an "instant hot water heater".

Did you do the measurement with the heater immersed in water? If not, I wonder if the heater unit can sense this (perhaps with a temperature sensor that gets above the boiling point of water when the unit is not actually in water?), and goes into a "low current" mode when this happens?

Try doing the measurements with the heater immersed in water.

Mark

Reply to
redbelly

"redbelly"

** Yep - they are average values of a short pulse current waveform.
** ROTFL .....

The OP is an idiot.

His heater is powered by gas.

The two batteries supply power to the ( electronic) spark igniter.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Well, shi-ite ... Never mind!

Reply to
redbelly

Thanks for all replies. I was only using a 47 ohm resistor, and still the current dropped too low. I tried to measure resistance between the positive and negative terminals when the burner was firing and when off, but it justs gives an open circuit reading. I just found out that the power cables feed into some sort of inverter? It (the white box) says

Input: DC 3V Output >= DC 12 KV

Not sure if this changes anything.

I had read up about the first poster's zener soluti> Phil Allis>

Reply to
suputnic

Yes this inverter(?) does power the spark igniter.

"The two batteries supply power to the ( electronic) spark igniter"

suputnic wrote:

Reply to
suputnic

Actually it only seems to ever draw 22mA, so I suppose the appropriate combo of reverse biased zener diodes and forward biased silicone diodes in series would reduce the voltage to the right level, without using a protective resistor.

suputnic wrote:

Reply to
suputnic

It's doubtful that precise voltage is needed.

4 or 5 1N400x diodes in series between the adapter & igniter should work. If you want precision, you can use an LM317 voltage regulator: (View in fixed font)

Adapter -----

  • ---+---Vin|LM317|Vout---+-----+---> To igniter | ----- | | | Adj [240R] | | | | | + [.1uF] +----------+ [1uF] | | | | [330R] | | | |

- ---+---------+----------------+---> To igniter

That will give you about 2.97 volts out to the igniter.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

No it doesn't need a precise voltage, batteries between 3.3V and 2.8V make it go. In fact I tried a 15.5V adapter (12V nominal) today, and it worked as well, but the igniter kept sparking after it was lit. Also the current was about half an amp, luckily it seems OK. I will try the chained diodes as a last resort, but I'd need over well over 10 in this case. Here are some of the options I have tried:

15.5V adapter (12V nominal) 0.5A ??

------------------------------------------------------- Results worked but igniter kept sparking after ignition

15.5V adapter (12V nominal) 10V Zener diode in series 3.3V Zener diode in series

------------------------------------------------------- Results

3.3V to the igniter as required 46mA current, too high should be 22mA Did not work

15.5V adapter (12V nominal)

10V Zener diode in series

------------------------------------------------------- Results

4.7V to the igniter, acceptable 68mA current, too high should be 22mA Did not work

15.5V adapter (12V nominal)

3.3V Zener diode in series 386 ohm resistor in series

------------------------------------------------------- Results

5.3V to the igniter, acceptable 18.8mA current, too low should be 22mA Did not work

15.5V adapter (12V nominal)

3.3V Zener diode in series 330 ohm resistor in series

------------------------------------------------------- Results

5.6V to the igniter, acceptable 20.2mA current, too low should be 22mA Did not work

15.5V adapter (12V nominal)

3.3V Zener diode in series 267 ohm resistor in series

------------------------------------------------------- Results

6.2V to the igniter, acceptable 22.9mA current, close to required 22mA Did not work

ehsjr wrote:

Reply to
suputnic

I have no idea where you live but sometimes it is better to have a battery ignitor because if the power is off (Storm etc) you may still want to use the heater. My daughter has a heater which has no provision for batteries and she was without hot water fo a week after a big tree brought down the power lines.

--
John G

Wot\'s Your Real Problem?
Reply to
John G

weather out there?

So, I'm guessing you want to be able to power your hot water controller with a DC adapter, powered by the mains, instead of with batteries. Am I right?

Why exactly would you want to do something like this?

Could you get two AA NiMH batteries, and charge them when they go down?

Another idea: get the correct size DC adapter, as close to 3.36V,

22.2mA as you can find. Is there a thrift shop near you? Here where I live, at the local Goodwill, they charge US $1 each for assorted used DC adapters.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Diodes are made of silicon, bathtub caulk is made of silicone. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Beacuse we have many hot water heaters, and replacing batteries all the time is expensive. I suppose I could try the rechargeable option, if they last long enough. We have no power supply issues in New Zealand.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
suputnic

Ah. I'd recommend Energizer NiMHs, 2500 mAh, 1.2V. They come in packs of 4 or 8. We have about 20 of them scattered throughout our house...

Reply to
mrdarrett

--
The OP\'s problem is that he doesn\'t understand that in order to bump
a few volts up to the 15kV or so required to strike the arc required

Because of that, his assessment of the current required to do the
job is flawed.
Reply to
John Fields

I have a lot of trouble believing these ratings for an "instant water heater"....Maybe you should consult the manufacturer and possibly a lawyer about faulty advertising....The ratings you give couldn't heat 10cc of water +10C in anything less than 45 seconds......

Reply to
Electromotive Guru

"Electromotive Guru"

** The heater is powered by gas - as the OP has now revealed.

The two batteries supply power to the ( electronic) spark igniter.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

first off 15.5V is kind of high to reduce to 3 using zeners, and also it's not a regulated supply so the output voltage will change with the supply voltage (which fluctuates somewhat)

if you can't get a lower voltage plugpack you'll need to use the lm317 circuit to reduce the voltage.

yeah, that one. maybe a 10uF tantalum instead of the 1uf.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

Fine weather recently, but cold with the onset of winter

Thanks for that information, I'll stop putting resistors in my circuit.

I haven't assessed the required current, only measured it as 22mA. However I put on a 4.7V DC adapter today, it made the unit work. The measured current this time was 32mA, this is a different unit though.

This attempt below, any ideas how to limit the current without inserting a resistor? Why is it drawing too much current anyway? Is that why it doesn't work?

15.5V adapter (12V nominal) 10V Zener diode in series 3.3V Zener diode in series

3.3V to the igniter as required 46mA current, too high should be 22mA (probably 32mA) Did not work
Reply to
suputnic