Tantalum caps

Yes, and 4-legged. Since many boards had a hole every .100", it was still possible to get them a pin off. The 4-legged ones made it more obvious. ;-) If it was possible, it happened.

There were also big-leg, little-leg tantalums, meant to go into big-hole, little-hole on the boards. One day my boss got a call from production bitching that the "girls" were getting sore thumbs stuffing the capacitors into boards. If it was possible, it happened.

Reply to
krw

Right. That's when he heard it.

Reply to
krw

Don't remember that. I do remember the bad low-ESR aluminum electrolytics, allegdly due to a stolen formula for electrolyte that Taiwanese makers used, which apparently omitted some stabilizers. They were typically radial caps of something like 1,000uF-2,700uF/6.3V. Bulging at the top was one symptom.

It doesn't help that aluminum electrolytics typically have a mark at the minus side (case) whereas tantalums usually have the + side marked.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Why waste perfectly good bricks? At least they have a reason to exist!

Michael A. Terrell

And locked in separate padded cells, on two different continents. At least, till one of their motherships took one of them back off world.

Michael A. Terrell

On a sunny day (Thu, 22 Sep 2011 09:00:11 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Dont chicken out, I gave you the math.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Buy them lunch/beer when they find a design error.

Hal Murray

Because you most likely deal with properly engineered electronics :)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Buy them lunch/beer when they don't make a design error.

Michael A. Terrell

Yet you do it so often.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

And you're AlwaysWrong.

John

So, you don't like 'Chicks'?

Michael A. Terrell

Here's a good paper that describes the problems with conventional tantalums in great detail, and talks about what Kemet has done about it:

$file/CARTSPoly.pdf

Reply to
The Phantom