Tantalum Capacitors

Nope, looks like normal "wet" lytics. Polys normally don't have (and don't need) that stamped structure in the top of the can that allows them to safely rupture and vent gas under overpressure conditions.

Also, polys tend to have much thicker pins than similar "wet" lytics.

Regards Dimitrij

Reply to
Dimitrij Klingbeil

I guess that would matter on which poly caps you are referring to?

Polyester, Polypropylene, Polystrene, Polycarbonate etc..

I don't seem to remember them having larger leads?

Silver mica is the way to go for small, stable and upper voltages.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

The discussion is about aluminum polymer electrolytics.

180uF? Must be as big as a house.
Reply to
krw

Yes. As long as the context makes the meaning clear.

Reply to
krw

OK thanks, (I should have just looked them up.) When we get some LN2 I'll add some to a DK order.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

English is wonderful. Not only does it have something like 800K words, each word can have many meanings, and different words sound exactly alike.

"Lead" can be a noun or a verb or an adjective, present or past tense, at least two pronunciations, and has lots of meanings.

There is a kinda weak connection between my written/read vocabulary and my spoken/heard. When I write/read LED I "say" the letters in my brain, but when I speak it, I'll say "lead" (at least to other electronics people). The same is true for pico-Farad and puff. And then writing on SED I get further confused. When we talk about electronics, I'm in writing mode. But when it gets more chatty, like this, then I picture myself talking to you... that seems more intimate, and friendly. And I "write", as I would talk.

(Hmm, hey that explains why I dislike the flame wars during chatty talks, more than disagreements over electronics. When it's chatty, I want to be friendly, and all the name calling disgusts me.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Do they exist in the upper mF range (4700+uF) for, say, 35V?

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

My brain is almost entirely visual and kinetic, and processes words very poorly. I have a hard time mapping sounds into words, and accents are terrible for me. Zero "cocktail party" effect. French almost flunked me out of high school.

I read very well, unless the words try to mimic accents, at which I guess my speech center gets called in to help figure things out, which doesn't work.

Lots of techies have speech and hearing problems. My wife, the speech pathologist, fixes lots of Google types.

I think and say ell e dee.

Public forums attract repulsive, childish people who have no audience in real life.

Check the distribs, but I think not. The CV products seem low, like

4700 at 2.5v. Don't know why.

Hah, I do the same thing while reading. (make up pronunciations for words/ names.) How brains get "wired" in different ways would be a nice thing for someone to figure out.

Re: accents, I find I adopt the accent of whomever I'm talking too. With far eastern (Chinese, Korean, ...) my vocabulary becomes limited, choppy. Sing songy with the Indians. I remember having a beer, (some unknown bar, trade show perhaps)the barman had a heavy Irish accent, we were talking, halfway through my first guinness my brogue was in full throat. But it's not anything I do consciously, it just happens. (Well work with lots of foreign grad students for years.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I'm going to disagree, SED seems like a pretty tight/ small group at the moment. If we all stop responding to posts with name calling, then I predict that behavior will stop. (Or the person(s) who needs to name call will go somewhere else.) I don't mind the OT political, food, talk as long as it's polite.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

There are flame threads that run to hundreds of posts. The same few idiots making ritual, content-free insults.

If we all stop responding to posts

It won't stop, but we can ignore them.

Agreed. Engineers get hungry and thirsty too. SED is one of the few active tech groups on usenet; most of usenet is dead.

Well, in LV SMPSes you really really care about ESR.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I've had excellent results using two 22uF aluminum electrolytics, one on the input, one on the output, of ZLDO1117 regulators. I've built several hundred devices with that setup, to produce 1.2 to 3.3 V supplies for FPGAs.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I believe he set up the production line to ramp up the supply voltage with current limiting on EVERY board as it comes out of the reflow oven.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

ds,

se,

John Larkin does have problems processing some of the content, and experien ces anything that impugns his vanity (such as this) as a "content-free insu lt".

He's probably not the most reliable of reporters.

I wouldn't bet on it.

But we don't.

And this would be a lot quieter without the off-topic flame wars. John Lark in's habit of posting off-topic links to denialist propaganda from the Murd och media does help keep the group active - and no doubt feeds John Larkin' s activity count. When I last looked he was our most prolific poster, well ahead of whoever was in second place.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Just get an equivalent capacity tantalum that's rated to a higher voltage. Should last a lot longer.

Reply to
scottficheree