Audiophoolery in Panasonic Electrolytic Capacitor Application Notes

(crossposted to sci.electronics.design and rec.audio.pro)

I was looking through electrolytic capacitors for yet another bloated-capacitor replacement for PC SMPS repair when I decided to take a gander at the manufacturer's data (looking for the longest rated life at the highest temperature so with luck the new ones will last a few years), as pointed out by Digikey:

I saw some interesting-looking titles in the lower-right under "Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor Data Files", specifically the "TECHNICAL GUIDE." Clicking that goes to another webpage with PDF links:

Most notable is Section 7, in the file at tle link below. It all looks reasonable and objective until it gets to Section 7.2 on audio, which starts on the third page of the PDF file.

(here's the payload, folks):

There are only two pages on audio, but it has the highest density of undefined/undefinable words I've ever seen in a "real" technical document. I've never heard of "amount of deta" but I'll guess that deta is short for detail.

Reply to
Ben Bradley

On a sunny day (Tue, 26 May 2009 12:36:11 -0400) it happened Ben Bradley wrote in :

That table SOUNDS like crap to me :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I would look at the new organic electrolytics. These are now showing up in a wide variety of applications, and are claimed to have something like 10X the life of a conventional electrolytic, even under extreme conditions.

Bob Morein (310) 237-6511

Reply to
Soundhaspriority

Organic caps will sound better on folk music.

geoff

Reply to
geoff

And Georgian Chants.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

only if they are free range caps tho'.... and not grain fed

Reply to
Ray Thomas

I would look at the new organic electrolytics. These are now showing up in a wide variety of applications, and are claimed to have something like 10% the life of a conventional electrolytic, even under extreme conditions.

Bob Morein (310) 237-6511

Reply to
Soundhaspriority

They're not as useful as organic transistors.

You can buy them at Hole Foods.

Peace, Paul

Reply to
Paul Stamler

....*especially* with organic fertilizer...

Reply to
Robert Baer

That third page (Pg 31) has more BS in it than a herd of 100 bulls. "Leads affects distortion" is a case in point (of many others). They forgot glass capacitors give a truly "shattering" performance!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Careful though, some of these suppliers use too much dope.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Thanks a bunch for the post. It inspired me to dedicate a complete section of wall in my cubical to the insaneness of the audiofool. The other engineers here will get a big kick out of it. Any other links would be appreciated.

regards, Bob N9NEO Just say NEO!

Reply to
N9NEO

Wow! Maybe I'll wait until they reach 50% of the life...

--
Geo
Reply to

Robert Baer wrote: .

Omit the leads and you hear zero distortion products at all !

geof

Reply to
geoff

Total crap, appealing to the dumbness of today's users and designers.

There ARE some aspects of construction that will affect electrolytic cap performance, notably microphonics ( got hit badly once by purchasing's decisions once on that aspect ) but this smells of nothing but marketing bullshit.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

I think you mean 1000%.

Probably a post from the fake 'soundhaspriority'. Did you lose your account with Buzzard, diddums ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

LMAO ! And 'real ale' will enhance the effect even more. ;~)

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

I've seen him briefly switch providers before. I think that his understanding of people, and how they perceive posts, is poor. This is probably an attempt to forge a post that would not be detected. As far as whether it is actually a new provider for him, he may use other providers to run aliases into groups that are of no interest to us.

Bob Morein (310) 237-6511

Reply to
Soundhaspriority

At the expense of greater leakage.