SSOP soldering

In the USAF, we used to get that stuff in quart-size jugs. I once used it on my hands, to make them sticky to lace a cable in an airplane, where everything is covered with something greasy and slippery, usually hydraulic fluid or jet fuel. Boy, it made my hands sticky, all right! Got the job done, and just washed it off with ordinary cleanser. ;-)

PS: I like acetone as a solvent too, as long as there's no polystyrene around. :-) Did you know that acetone is 100% miscible with water?

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Well, it mixes but it complains first. Dump a bunch of dirty acetone in the toilet... it runs around in circles and gets all upset before it sinks in. Fun, like kicking an ant pile.

Heat a coil of bare copper wire with a torch, red hot, then suspend it just above the surface of some acetone. It will stay red hot.

John

OK, here is the easy way....

Any hot air gun will really work, I like the hot air stations with varying nozzles that match the part to be soldered as they use less heat on the part. The TRICK is to have the air nozzle in a holder so it is out of your hands, steady, and able to move up and down over the part (like an old inspection scope stand or a premade device).

Dress the pads with solder. Tack two pins of the part down. Add you favorite flux. Adjust the height of the air nozzle, turn it on and adjust the air flow. Wait for the solder to flow. Solder tension will align the part, but you help it by gently tapping on the board. Once it is aligned, turn off the air and pull the nozzle up with the stand.

Simple. Effective. Cheap.

Reply to
Brian