Spoke sensor for bicycle

FWIW, my bicycle is not electric. (Apparently some or all of those 15 cadence sensors cited by me earlier pertain to electric bicycles??) The whole idea behind my spins is to get a good workout.

People sometimes ask me about my bicycle's fat tires. The tires are fatter than those found on small motorcycles. They help me navigate through light, dry snow. Fat tires are also ideal to yield three feet over on the gravelly shoulder of the paved highway through the foothills when a big pickup truck with extra wide mirrors screams past. If you look closely at the left handlebar of my bike, you can spot a rear-view mirror to keep me situationally aware of things going on behind my back.

My bike needs rear taillights and turn indicators more than a cadence counter. The bike's NiteRider headlight battery ought to provide plenty of juice as-is. But the rear lights will probably end up as DIY for lack of any viable alternatives.

Danke,

Reply to
Don

I'm looking for options when I *don't* want a workout. There's a difference between "going out for some chores" and "going out for some execise". The former has a (immediate) purpose while the latter's purpose is more long term.

Yes, my wheelchair's drive wheels are good enough for packed dirt and firm lawns (and asphalt, concrete, etc.). But, tend to "spin" in the decomposed granite that is common in place of lawns, here.

I'll mount more aggressive wheels if I take this approach:

(Disabled) Folks who really go into this sort of thing can get really aggressive in their solutions:

But, they are truly looking for ATV-style solutions to ATV-style problems. I'm just looking for a non-driving, non-walking way to cover reasonably short distances (I'd never rely on walking OR this sort of kludge if I wanted to travel a dozen miles)

My wheelchair already has headlights, tail lights and turn signals. And a horn! :-/

And (I think) a BT tie-in for "remote control". Battery isn't a problem as there's ~100 pounds of them under the seat!

Reply to
Don Y

Any mountain bike will be at home off the pavement. I've got a Montague because I wanted a full-sized folding bike I can put in the back of the Yaris. Bike racks and hatchbacks don't play well together.

I don't think sidewalk riding is illegal here but I wonder about the people who ride on sidewalks or the shoulder of the road when there's a perfectly good bike path six feet away.

Ebikes are up in the air. They're banned on quite a few trails but there's no blanket prohibition. There's an attempt to distinguish between electric assist and outright electric drive.

Forty tears ago I'd ride on Boston streets. Over the years I gotten much more paranoid. I gave up a favorite route because it's a narrow two lane road with no shoulder. The fog line is the edge of the pavement and there's only a ditch past it. Most people are good but it is frequented by F350 dualies pulling stock trailers.

The other route is on a very wide shoulder for about three miles and then a bike/pedestrian path.

Reply to
rbowman

I was very please when I moved from a balloon tire coaster brake model to my first 'English' bicycle. I bought it used and abused with my 8th grade graduation presents. I learned quite a bit about springs, cogs, pins, and the other internals.

After that experience there was close to a 20 year gap before I bought a

10 speed. Derailleurs have their moments but nothing like a SA.

I was tempted but moved on to a real motorcycle, a '55 panhead. It was loud but not to be mistaken for a bumblebee.

Reply to
rbowman

Do you run studs?

Reply to
rbowman

They must be a joy to pedal. Some I've seen are actually bigger than the front tire on my DR650 and that has a 650cc thumper to do the pedaling.

Definite yes on the rear view. I have one bike without a mirror and I keep glancing at the hole where it's supposed to be. I've never come to terms with those mirrors mounted on your glasses.

Reply to
rbowman

Some do not require any pedaling. Locally they're trying to find a way to legally differentiate between the two.

Reply to
rbowman

I tacoed a wheel while carry groceries in a backpack. Not a good idea, getting slammed with a few cans of tunafish.

Reply to
rbowman

John Dope snipped-for-privacy@message.header wrote in news:t8aiai$34s$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

There are a lot of games that do not work offline for obvious reasons.

Cant play Euchre with a worldwide set of opponents offline.

D'Oh! John Dope is not very bright.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Bike relies heavily on rider. My body is no longer as "pliable" as it used to be, making reaction times a significant issue to ridership.

Bike paths, for the most part, run along the washes; a few in town but they share the pavement with vehicles (which is where bikes are supposed to ride).

Here, cities have final authority over regulating bikes. Tucson prohibits riding bikes on sidewalks (unless posted otherwise). Other localities can set their own restrictions/permissions.

eBikes (of all kinds) and "motorized bikes" are treated like bicycles wrt sidewalk riding. There are some distinctions (Watts or cc's) that allow for the bike to be classed as a "scooter"/moped which just makes it harder to think of it as suitable for sidewalk use.

Wheelchairs are deliberately accommodated on sidewalks with specifications as to the slope of the on/off ramps, "texture" to alert users that they are entering/exiting the roadway, etc.

I'm sure electric wheelchairs are classed the same as regular wheelchairs. There's the possibility that some narrow-minded cop might consider a gas-generator powered electric wheelchair to be considered a "motor bike" but I suspect that wouldn't hold up in court (there is nothing that states HOW the power is sourced)

I suspect Segways would be classed as ebikes, if the statutes were parsed carefully.

When I was younger, traffic wouldn't bother me. I'd ride from my place in Medford, down Mystic Valley/Alewife Brook/Fresh Pond -Parkways to pick up take-out at Big Joyce Chen's -- navigating the delightful 55MPH rotaries along the way (talk about hair-raising!).

Or, down Mass Ave to school, crossing Harvard Sq "the wrong way" to cut a block off the trip.

I was more "nimble" on the bike than on foot. Now, the reverse is the case (I can get my body out of harms way a lot easier than I'd be able to get it AND a bike out!)

Reply to
Don Y

In message-id <t6nt3e$7bp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me

posted Thu, 26 May 2022

12:50:54 -0000 (UTC) John Dope stated:

Yet, since Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:10:38 -0000 (UTC) John Dope's post ratio to USENET (**) has been 59.3% of its posts contributing "nothing except insults" to USENET.

** Since Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:10:38 -0000 (UTC) John Dope has posted at least 1785 articles to USENET. Of which 173 have been pure insults and 885 have been John Dope "troll format" postings.

The John Dope troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Dope troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Dope troll has continued to post incorrectly formatted USENET articles that are devoid of content (latest example on Thu, 16 Jun 2022 12:51:18 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <t8f906$n4h$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me).

NOBODY likes the John Doe troll's contentless spam.

This posting is a public service announcement for any google groups readers who happen by to point out that Troll Doe does not even follow the rules it uses to troll other posters.

zT5LYfOE1c7c

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

No. Winter spins on the storied North Face of the mountain south of town are more infrequent, shorter, and require more preconditions. Such spins primarily keep my legs in shape for summer fun. (If you don't use it you lose it.) In the Winter the paved road to a promontory called Lookout must be mostly dry. Although snowy patches here and there are OK and crunchy rime ice is OK; black ice is a show stopper. The temperature at the start must be above 39 degrees F. Your own body heat keeps you toasty under a windbreaker thrown over a long sleeve t-shirt. Your own sweat drenches you, and becomes a very big problem on the way down. Southern chinook winds warm the town in the dead of Winter. But, they also agonize ascents on the North Face. Imagine gale force headwinds as you pedal a bicycle up a mountain. The ideal time for an ascent in Winter is when a storm first starts to blow in. The chinook eases off to slowly give way to a Northern tailwind. Of course the tailwind's cold and it becomes a headwind on the way back down. Remember my sweat drenched clothes? Add a nominal North wind of 20 MPH to a nominal 40 MPH downhill speed and you face a 60 MPH wind chill. Frozen digits on the way down become your biggest problem.

Danke,

Reply to
Don

John Dope snipped-for-privacy@message.header wrote in news:t8f906$n4h$3@dont- email.me:

The idiot John Dope challenges a response, it gets filled, and then the putz denies he challenged anyone and declares their response to be irrelevant, when it addressed the challenge 100%. And uses name calling like the immature little school boy putz mentality dumbfuck he is.

You really are an immature old fool, John Dope.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It certainly is. I was riding a trail that was mostly clear and came to a patch of smooth ice. I figured I could blow past it but physics disagreed.

Reply to
rbowman

Those aren't road-legal here in Australia, though some folk have them anyway.

Road use has three legal requirements:

  • 250W max
  • no assist above 27km/hr
  • no assist unless pedalling (no throttle)

Clifford Hetah.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

To me riding when there is snow is too much of a madness. I do ride during the winter months when it is dry and I have occasionally landed on a patch of snow, barely being able to control the slide (it typically happens at a curve on my daily track where the snow melts slowest). My tires are perhaps half as wide as Don's, may be 1/3, but still.

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

You need at least one more wheel for that to work.

Reply to
Ricky

Well it's GPS so it's less reliable in tall cities or deep ravines. but it doesn't need a cell signal.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

you could attach the magnet using a tube patch. I have some 5mm magnets that would fit in a Schrader valve cap.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

I suppose that's true if you have an app that doesn't require a network connection. The few apps I've tried don't seem to do much without a cell signal.

Then there's the problem of cell phones running for very long in continuous use without being recharged. A friend's phone would only last a few hours when running a GPS app in his car.

Reply to
Ricky