Spice modelling of back EMF

"Voltage' is a coined word meaning electrical potential (sometimes called potential). When the language was being worked out, electrostatic potential of Leyden jars was not known to be the same as the move-magnets-in-coils induced potential, which was 'electromotive force'. Yeah, potential isn't force, but it's how induction was quantified, so 'voltage', 'electrical potential', 'electromotive force' are all words for the same thing, but used in different contexts.

Reply to
whit3rd

And argumentativeness is measured in Larkins.

Reply to
John S

I don't know if Litz wire is used for multi-layer inductors. If it is, the voltage will be different between the layers and the skin effect is wiped out by the capacitance between the layers. If you take things to the limit, the surface area and capacitance becomes very large between layers.

Bill Bowden

You can work out the capacitance between layers. It's typically of the order of a few hundred pF, which can be inconveniently large, but not "very large".

Litz wire is used for multilayer windings - the logic for using it is based on the distribution of current within individual strands of wire and isn't any different between multi-layered and single-layered windings.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

One way of defining a voltage difference is in terms of the force (in newtons) acting on a test charge (in coulombs) moving across the voltage difference.

You have to do work to move a test charge across a voltage difference.

One way of expressing work/energy is as newton.metres

John seems to have slept through most of his physics lectures at Tulane.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Arguments have content. Larkin generates evasive hot air, not arguments.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

As I said, EMF is measured in volts. How many newtons of force between two electrodes of 1 cm^2 each spaced 1cm apart with an EMF of 100V difference? Check your 1st semester physics book for help.

Reply to
John S

The most important first semister freshman Engineering course was Engineering Design Analysis, taught by the Dean of Engineering. It was basically dimensional analysis, how to get the units right.

lunatic fringe electronics

John Larkin, you stand accused of talking nonsense. How do you plead?

Reply to
Julian Barnes

The problem is that some like weird units and some have similar names.

Ditto (though just HS physics).

Reply to
krw

Do you measure force in foot-pounds?

Actually, I can't manage that.

lunatic fringe electronics

Guilty of getting an A in my dimensional analysis course.

Voltage can, in the right experimental setup, result in force. But voltage is not force.

If it is, other setups could prove that voltage=current and voltage=frequency and voltage=pizzas. So we don't need any units at all.

lunatic fringe electronics

In engineering school, we mostly worked in lbf and slugs and BTUs and ghastly stuff like that. Luckily, electrical units were already metric, and I only had to suffer through the mechanics and thermo courses in olde English. Physics was already in SI.

I still have aerospace customers who work in the old units. Incredible.

Later times, maybe

lunatic fringe electronics

I was thinking more of the metric units some science disciplines use. They have their reasons but it makes it a mess for those not intimate with their jargon. PH has talked about this, here, recently.

Later? AD, for sure. ;-) (1968)

As I've said before, we also learned to do arithmetic in bases other than 10 in fifth and sixth grade ('63ish), though the math curricula in the secondary schools weren't all that great.

Reply to
krw

Please check your first year physics textbook.

Definition: V = N*m/q (Voltage equals Newtons multiplied by meters and divided by charge in coulombs)

Reply to
John S

yeah, one way how to detect fule injector movement.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Exactly. Volts are not Newtons. Voltage is not force.

You could use your exact same logic to claim that voltage is distance. We wouldn't use a voltmeter, we'd use a meter meter, or a yardstick in the USA.

lunatic fringe electronics

Ah! I now see the origin of of your point. You are fine-tuning your responses to continue an ongoing posting to stroke your ego.

I should have said that voltage produces a force. Would you have argued against that? I suspect so. And, again, voltage is the unit of EMF whether you like it or not.

Reply to
John S

Voltage is electrostatic potential (i.e. potential energy per unit charge), and force is minus the gradient of potential energy. YCLIU.

There were lots of misconceptions about electromagnetic things in the early days, e.g. that you couldn't make a receiver without an earth ground. That's no reason to perpetuate the confusion.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(Of course it gets more complicated when you're not in the electrostatic limit, but potential doesn't get any more like a force.)

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Voltage can produce force in some situations. The dimensional reality that volts newtons requires that other hardware and other units are necessary for volts to make force.

Dimensional analysis is very powerful. Confusing units is sloppy and dangerous.

My original point was that the term "EMF" is rarely used in electronic design, is an anachronism, and is literally incorrect. Then people started arguing that voltage IS force.

See the wiki bits on EMF. And volts. And force.

lunatic fringe electronics