Spice Model for ADI 500MHz Four-Quadrant Multiplier Added to my Website

A Spice Model for the ADI 500MHz Four-Quadrant Multiplier has been added (AD834_SPICE_Model.zip) to the Device Models & Subcircuits Page of my Website, with...

  • Improper modeling syntax corrected by Jim Thompson on 2015_01_16:
*
  • " ...subcircuit definitions cannot
  • be nested. That is, a .SUBCKT statement cannot appear in the
  • statements between a .SUBCKT and a .ENDS."
*
  • Also fixed multiple floating node issues by adding 1G R's to node 0.

Works properly now >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Only at audio frequencies :-( Further checking shows ridiculously wrong bias currents. Looks like all I managed to cure was Spice spitting out syntax and floating node errors :-(

MY APOLOGIES... DON'T USE UNTIL I ROLL MY OWN. ...Jim Thompson

AD834 is old and expensive!

Did you look at AN-212? It has a bunch of transistor-level detail.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

AN-212 is an AppNote. Is there a better multiplier than AD834? I need good performance at 210MHz. ...Jim Thompson

Yes, I believe it is.

Is there a better multiplier than AD834? I

Tons of them. AD8343. ADL5391. Lots more.

Linear Tech. TI.

There are a bunch of IQ modulators that have built-in 90 degree phase shifters that work over a wide frequency range. I can't imagine how they manage that. TRF3701. LTC5588-1. ADL5386.

I'm considering using a fast multiplier, like the ADL5391, for my fast variable-height pulse generator, if I can't find a cheaper way to do it.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On a sunny day (Fri, 16 Jan 2015 18:22:34 -0700) it happened Jim Thompson wrote in :

My AD8346 goes to above 2.4 GHz???

tested at 2.4 GHz

Spice models do not make much sense if 2 cm wire changes everything... :-) measurements, measurements..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yet Analog Devices keeps on making them.

It's labelled as an active mixer. The AD834 is at least specified as a multiplier.

ADL5391.

At least it's an actual multiplier, and not all that expensive.

TI did take over Burr-Brown and their - not all that quick - multipliers.

Linear Tech might do something quick for a specific application. The last time I poked through the multiplier products I didn't find anything all that interesting.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Thanks. I'll have to find time to review.

I never did quite understand how four-quandrant multipliers worked! We had one or two of these on a vid-proc board at Intergroup. (Video switcher) Diff phase & gain on one input, and I forget what was on the other. Maybe chroma?

It turned out I could get by without fully understanding how the damn thing worked.

Most of the times the girls in assembly either stuffed the caps backwards, or the board's topside got flooded with shorts underneath the parts courtesy of the wave solder machine. :)

Reply to
mpm

Informed by ADI that the AD834 model posted on the web "was not an official release", and I had an immediate need, I rolled my own...

AD834_JT_SUBCKT.zip

on the Device Models & Subcircuits Page of my website.

For the moment LTspice _only_.

Comments most welcome, I want to get these sort of animals modeled correctly. ...Jim Thompson