TL431 replacement with 1.2V reference???

I need an MP3 player that runs 24/7. All the ones I have shut down and switch to file transfer mode when you plug in USB. So, I think I need a 1.5V AAA battery eliminator.

All my wall warts use a TL431 as regulator.

If I could find a replacement with 1.2V-ish reference in TO-92 I could just drop it in and change one resistor to get 1.5V.

What's a good cheap, shunt-regulator IC that will go down to 1.5V?

TL431 is 5 for a buck shipped on ebay. Closest thing I can find in 1.2V are SMT devices at $10 each shipped.

Anything cheap available?

Suppose I could use a Darlington transistor and not sweat the tempco.

Designing a supply from scratch is trivial. Problem is packaging it. I'm not that motivated.

Ideas? Thanks, mike

Reply to
mike

VLC media player play videos, but it also plays music and FLAC, which is miles better than MP3.

Another choice would be to run Linux, and not be hog tied by the stupidity Windows places on a user.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Why not use a TLV431 which is available in TO-92 from several manufacturers?

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

On a sunny day (Sat, 17 Jan 2015 04:18:49 -0800) it happened mike wrote in :

Series regulator, LM317 will go down to 1.2 V and up to > 30V I am using one for just that purpose with my Creative USB mp3 player.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 17 Jan 2015 04:18:49 -0800) it happened mike wrote in :

Series regulator, LM317 will go down to 1.2 V and up to > 30V I am using one for just that purpose with my Creative USB mp3 player.

BTW I use 5V, it depends how you connect the 2 USB data lines if it goes into 'PC' or normal mode.

Corection: the MUvo uses this:

Sorry I do not 'design' thse things, with slimulator etc, just what I grab from the junk box when I needed to hear music, Been working 24/7 since 2010 it seems. LOL HAHAHAHA

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Another mindless idiotic response...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Ahh... so the BLOGGS utter RETARD has no clue about how WindBLOWS handles USB insertion events.

Why am I not surprised that his idiocy level just went up... again.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

...Jim Thompson

I wouldn't pay two cents for what you think you know...lunatic.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I have NEVER seen a "standard" wallwart that was regulated. Only special wall warts are regulated, and a number of those use 7805 type regulators (and many of thse are heat-sinked).

Reply to
Robert Baer

  • GODDAMN F*cking pop-up!!!!!!!!!!!!! This _SHIT_ is becoming more prevalent,and is impossible to prevent.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Guess you've never seen a cellphone or tablet or laptop or ...

Reply to
mike

Thanks, the part number is obvious once you know what it is ;-). The 6V max is a concern, but I can run some tests to verify that there aren't transients over that voltage at the chip. mike

Reply to
mike

My first thought was to put a LM317 in the dummy battery and run it off 5V. But the power dissipation made me uncomfortable in the TO-92. Trying to keep it simple without a lot of extra crap in the wire getting hot.

Just modding the wall wart seemed like a slam-dunk until I realized the reference voltage was too high. I think the TLV431 will fix it.

Reply to
mike

Another choice would be to help people do what they want to do instead of trying to force your choices on them.

It appears that your penchant for ignoring the real world and forcing your choices on others transcend AOLU.

VLC does not run on my MP3 player...nor does FLAC. The quality of FLAC is IRRELEVANT, unless you're in a mood to rip my mp3 collection again, supply the media to store it, the player for it and the speakers good enough to let me hear the difference. OH, I'm gonna need a better internet connection. With my current data budget, it would take you 50 years to send it back to me.

The real world is far more complex than your tunnel vision admits.

MP3 is a standard that JUST WORKS perfectly fine enough, on virtually every player available. Your ranting isn't gonna change the fact that, in the real world, JUST WORKS, GOOD ENOUGH and COMPATIBILITY trump MILES BETTER, especially when most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference under typical listening conditions.

Linux doesn't run on my MP3 player. Are we sensing a trend here? Nice bit of windows bashing in a thread about a voltage regulator.

Have a very UNO day ignoring the real world.

Reply to
mike

Idiot. IF you had any clue, you would see that that is exactly what Windows' lame USB insertion event handling is doing.

But I would not expect a complete and utter dumbfuck like you to get that FACT.

The question was answered correctly.

Use VLC, which ignores Windows stupidity, OR use a BETTER OS, which doesn't pull the stupidty WindBLOWS does.

But then, you have zero grasp of what takes place in the hardware, because you have zero grasp of what takes place in the OS. I have doubts you even know how to run an application without pissing and moaning, even on your pathetic OS of choice.

I can't say get a clue, because you lack the capacity to receive a clue, much less get one once you do.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

umop apisdn
Reply to
Jasen Betts

I just love these conversations where you make a big deal over something entirely different from what's happening. The OS is NOT involved at all. If you plug the mp3 player into a power supply, it does the same thing. It works just fine with an OS for file transfer. The mp3 player will not allow you to play mp3's when there's power on the usb plug. NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH ANY OS, NOT EVEN THE ONE YOU HATE SO MUCH!

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to rub your nose in your own effluent. Please go back where you have peer support for your unfounded denigration. They miss you...

Reply to
mike

Well, there's insufficient headroom for the TLV431 or the darlington. But one NPN transistor works just fine. Regulation and tempco are crap, but well within the range of a battery over the environmental conditions likely to be encountered in my living room. And the player sounds great.

Reply to
mike
[about low-V output limit of a SMPS design]

If you want, you can use the TLV431 to program a current mirror, and drive the LED with the current mirror output, if this refers to the common TL(V)431/optoisolator feedback in an isolated switching power supply.

Reply to
whit3rd