Spectrum analyzer vs scope for radio experimentation

Remember Panadaptors for the AR88?

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

I never owned one, but they were common in surplus stors & at hamfests in the early '70s

We sold 'Spectrum Displays' for the Microdyne Telemetry products. An odd, rectangular CRT. They went into a slot in the 1100, 1200, 1400 &2800 series, and in an external chassis for newer models like the 700. The RCB2000 used the Plasma display for the 'Spectrum Display'. They were still working out some bugs when I was laid off.

You can see one in this 1400-MR: for sale on Ebay

By 1999, we had to have the CRT custom made. They were over $1,000 each, and one third were rejected & returned to the OEM. At one time that CRT was available as mil surplus for 99 cents, and made by Sylvania.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

this time not to address you directly as to make my follow up questions directed to the group. Can't say I'm experienced with USENET but I see question/follow up to the question a standard practice here. I did not expect you would have to answer my followup question in any way, I was merely expressing need for further explanation. I do not know how I would have done it differently. In any case, the group here has a number of very helpful people and very knowledgeable and I do not wish to alienate anyone. My apologies.

Don't mind P. Allison's very bad attitude. He does have some knowledge. Many here have filtered him out.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Analysis".

occurs

errors

for

Really? I have been picked more than once.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

I'm (almost) out shopping for a used SA. What would be the price range on e Bay for let's say a few kHz to a few GHz analyzer at which I wouldn't suspe ct the thing is busted. "Affordable" here is kind of vague. For example I s ee many many analyzers on eBay may be 200 kHz to 22 GHz that go from $1000 to about $7000 or may be more. Are the $1000-$2000 ones guaranteed to be bu sted?

I looked into some of those. They seem a bit advanced for me to assemble fo r the moment.

Reply to
M. Hamed

for let's say a few kHz to a few GHz analyzer at which I wouldn't suspect the thing is busted. "Affordable" here is kind of vague. For example I see many many analyzers on eBay may be 200 kHz to 22 GHz that go from $1000 to about $7000 or may be more. Are the $1000-$2000 ones guaranteed to be busted?

I don't have any current info. About 25 years ago, I built a TEK

492-ish out of junk parts. Had to fix most of the boards, but the price was right. Just calibrating it was a nightmare.

First thing to worry about is the first mixer. It's sticking right at the front panel just waiting to be busted...and it doesn't take much at all to seriously injure the balance. And you may not realize it until you get down to some serious measurements. And the part may not be available...at any price.

A common problem with service monitors is some of the PLL's coming unlocked. Same with SA. If you don't have the test equipment to see what's going on, or parts to substitute, or manuals, you're SOL.

Spectrum analyzers often have modular construction. If you buy a pallet of 'em at govt surplus, a common trick is to swap parts around to make a few excellent ones and put the marginal stuff in the cheaper ones...as is.

I've heard a lot of stories about stuff just missing from the instrument.

I was looking for some sampling gear. I found what I wanted about half the usual price on ebay...powers on, no way to test it. I had a few exchanges with the seller about the condition. He accidentally replied from his corporate email. He was at THE major test equipment refurbisher in the USA. Can't test it my ass...

the moment.

Reply to
mike

good book -- I had Wes sign mine when I took a Triquint class in Portlandia 12-15 years ago.

Original poster could turn is scope into a SpecAn with Hayward's "homebrew" design:

What better for a ham to do?

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie