Speaking of audiophools

This is my conclusion too.

The trouble is that the nuts often then claim that their coloured freq response and added distortion is higher 'fidelity' which of course it isn't. It's simply a case of 'what I like the sound of'. It really needs a new term to describe it.

Intentionally added distortion ( and other stuff ) is widely used in music production for exactly this reason.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Try *resistance* !

Bear in mind the fact that the load has a frequency sensitive impedance.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Fatter cable does give better damping factor (due to lower resistance), but you'd get away much cheaper by buying wire at the electrical shop.

...Jim Thompson

Invalid comparison.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

very

I've often pondered building the amplifier right on the back of the speaker, so that wire length is minimal. Then distribute the signal to each amplifier thru a current loop.

...Jim Thompson

very

Just use 400-watt PC speakers. ;-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I think so, and the audiophools claim Bose is full of nonsense.

Can't win...

Reply to
mc

How so?

Reply to
mc

Oh I can see it makes a difference, just look at the thickness of the wallets on the way in and out of hifi stores.

It would be nice if someone anywhere could *hear* that speaker wire *does* make a difference and prove it by means of ABX testing.

It is not like it is difficult, expensive or time consuming to conduct ABX tests. If these expensive cable suppliers could just find one pair of golden ears that could tell the difference you would expect them to jump at the chance of backing up their claims with some hard evidence.

Reply to
nospam

very

Damping factor is part of it, although less significant than you might think. Check this out with Don Pearce !

This is actually already done with some high-end ( and some not so high-end ) speakers. Typically called powered or active speakers. These also often include 'electronic crossovers' ( active filters at line level ) that are more accurate than passive ones and allow direct connection of the driver to the amplifier with further attendant benefits.

Why current loop though ? That'll be affected by cable capacitance. There's already a very workable standard for audio voltage based distribution on balanced ( differential ) cables.

I see no-one has figured yet that the cable and the speaker form a 'filter' of sorts that affects the frequency response. It's not insignificant.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

How much does the 50 / 75 ohm load in your TV example vary with frequency ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

The heavy duty wire that you can buy at DIY centres is equally good and vastly cheaper.

It's been done decades ago and instrumented. There's no need to prove it again. However the charlatans don't like you to know that their magic cable is only really any better on account of the cross-sectional area.

Like I said, the performance of different conductors was first properly tested IIRC by pro-audio magazine Studio Sound over 20 yrs ago. Getting on for 30 yrs most likely. They even did impulse testing with a storage scope.

The misrepresentation of what's at play for marketing and sales purposes is another matter.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

[snip]

than

further

already a

differential

Not significant when the receiving end impedance is a virtual short ;-)

sorts

...Jim Thompson

That's because the audiophools are schizophrenic over subjectivism.

It may also be because Bose gear is rubbish.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Relatively little. But how much does the impedance of a speaker vary with frequency? I know it varies somewhat, but isn't it always a great deal larger than the resistance of a normal speaker wire?

Reply to
mc

Eeyore wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVETHIS.hotmail.com:

Care to show the incredible performance difference with some math?

me

include

accurate than

further

already a

differential

An amplifier's input impedance is typically 10k.

Where do you get your virtual short from ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

For a nominal 8 ohm speaker expect the impedance to vary between 5 and maybe as much as 100 ohms.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

include

accurate than

further

already a

differential

Rather than me trying to describe it, think back a few days to a thread, "How to measure bi-directional small signal currents".

What is the input impedance ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

This is very exciting!

Ignoramus28584