Sound Frequency and Directionality

Assume normal hearing until 2k.

If using a mono ALD (Assistive Listening Device) amplifying the highs with 'open' headphones to both ears.

Wwould directionality be preserved with the sub 2k 'leakage' or will it be swamped with the 2k and above amplification?

In other words, what percent of directionality is functional below 2k and what percent above?

Reply to
stu

I think it's mostly below 2K because most acoustic power is below 2K.

I can't hear anything above 2K, but I still have good directional perception as when I drop something or hear a car horn.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I shoulda said I have significant loss from about 400 Hz up; the curve looks like a waterfall. I can hear the keys on the piano when they're struck -- but I have a hell of a time with consonants and fricatives in speech. I think my aids have something like 60 dB of gain at the highest freqs, which aren't much above 2K.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Only up to about a killoherz. Above that and you rely on amplitude diferences.

Up to sbout 1kHz. Above there you use a different scheme.

----------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Actually, it's pretty broad range. The bottom end is kinda controversial. The top is way up there.

2K?? Gotta piano in the house? The second C above middle C is just over 2KHz (2093 Hz). Can you hear that? When you go up the scale from there, when do you loose it?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

The directionality is dependent on the phase difference you can hear between the left and right ear. The phase difference is the centimeters between the ears in the direction the sound comes from compared to the wavelength. So higher frequencies generally are better resolved. Since the sound is not sinewaves, there may be some weight function in the spectrum.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar