sound card based sampling oscilloscope

Looks like a nice cheap hobby project, ~40 MSPS effective sampling rate on repetitive signals with a 96 kSPS soundcard.

Glen Walpert

On a sunny day (02 Nov 2011 01:43:09 GMT) it happened Glen Walpert wrote in :

Hey that is nice, maybe I can add that AD738 to my PIC scope, that would extend the range a lot:

Jan Panteltje

That's fun and educational, but one problem is that it's not triggered. It gets its timebase by heterodyning the signal against an independent local oscillator. So it only works with repetitive signals that have very low period jitter.

With the timebase suggested in the appnote, the display time/division is difficult to figure out, and it's easy to alias the waveform into something deceptive, like time reversal for instance. In fact, you have to know the input waveform frequency in advance, otherwise it's difficult or impossible to know if the timebase divisor is right.

LeCroy did a sampling scope with a free-running, synthesized timebase. I don't recall it being a successful product.

John

Maybe they forgot to mention the optional trigger module in the catalog? Otherwise I don't see how such a scope would produce meaningfull readings in any situation.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel