Somewhat OT: Data backup using Blu Ray

There is a big difference between some dweeb that "wants" a "permanent" back-up, and the agencies which actually want the types of back-ups that have been termed by the industry as being "historical back-ups"

The lifetime of a burned CD/DVD is less than 5 years, despite reports of those lasting longer. So his request and the medium he has chosen are a contradiction in capabilities.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

And you have a technology problem.

The remark you made about hard drive reliability proves beyond doubt that you do not have a goddamned clue what you are talking about.

The fact that you actually think that burned optical mediums represent a permanent storage medium further proves that fact.

In other words, BobW, you are a goddamned retard as it relates to this issue, and you are NOT the right person to be performing said backups, since you just jump in and always seem to f*ck up the data, instead of getting the desired backup.

Yep... you're a real prize, f*****ad.

I am sorry that I gave my advice to you about the PROPER way to perform back-ups when you actually want the data to be retained and be accurate. Since you are such a goddamned retard in this area, I suggest that you hire someone with a brain, as you are NOT that person.

So f*ck you, asswipe... and the horse that rode in up your ass as well.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

That is because you are a goddamned idiot, boy!

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

You're an idiot. You were given your solution by several knowledgeable individuals.

You are just too goddamned bullheaded and retarded to grasp the fact that others know far more than you do.

YOU are the available evil. If you want results, put someone else on the job, idiot.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Not at the level that you refer.

Simple mirroring RAID is possible, but bit-stripped RAID is not possible without an actual RAID controller card.

Now, someone could make a USB connected device that contains several drives that could all be made into a RAID device. That would actually sell well, since hard drive hot swapping, and are possible, and data loss is not in such set-ups.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Hard drives have historically defied this trend. Hard drives will be around for a long time to come.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

I use a Linksys NAS device, with mirror backup between two 500 GB drives.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Me? Au contraire. That's why I recommended combing through the stuff to see what's really needed. And mostly to find what isn't.

IMHO only when libraries are involved (CAD).

Meantime I did switch to DVD. But I am like you, switching to new technology _after_ it's really ready and not over-priced. And then only the good stuff.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Optical data storage is an oxymoron. It should only be allowed to be legally referred to as temporary data archiving, since it qualifies for nothing greater.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

I also back-up any macros and gimmicks that I develop during the design phase... like the stuff I put on my website last week.

I keep most of that as PDF rather than the huge DAT files.

...Jim Thompson

I don't see the NAS stuff on their website. I see NSS racks and HDT replacement bays. It looks 'spensive.

I did find this from Vantec. It's very (as George Harrison once said in Hard Day's Night).

I suppose that this may be the least painful method, for what I want, and will give me some peace of mind. However, I'm still hoping that, with time, something like Blu Ray will be the simplest and best answer. I'm gonna have to read about these different RAID modes to see what's the best for my needs.

Thanks, Phil and John.

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

I was thinking of N+1, namely data on several drives, and one extra drive for parity. Then, you could lose one drive. That could be just a driver, no extra hardware.

But the easy thing to do is just copy all the data to a bunch of

places.

John

yes, (with software raid),

flash has a retention time of about 10 years doesn't it?

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Same here but that's peanuts in terms of data volume. I always try to find the most efficient storage format, such as PNG for graphics.

Well, how would you do that with a TLA file?

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Archimedes says Hard drives are good. Now I'm worried!

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Christ! You truly are an idiot.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Are you retarded? Optical disc authoring will NEVER be easier, faster, or more convenient than hard disc back-ups are.

We already gave you the simplest, best method, dipshit.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Baggies? John... even you expose yourself for the idiot you are at times. This is one such instance.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

No... what you are is an idiot. What you should worry about is YOUR grasp of the physical realm.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

drives will be

Possibly, but a couple years ago Sony demo'd a new type of optical drive (like a CD, only the media is encased), which cuts the disc with multiple lasers. The capacity was enormous. Like 21TB. At the time, they promised a R/W version, but I don't know if it's commercially available. It will take time for this to enter the consumer arena. Then conventional magnetic-technology hardrives go the way of the dinosaur.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm