Using Backup UPS as Power Invertor?

Is it feasible to use a Backup UPS device as a power inverter? Not for continual use but for occasional, s.a. 60 min at a time to run a laptop, battery charger for electric drill, etc. ??

Reply to
Art

Maybe, assuming that the UPS is capable of sustaining the load for that long.

Many of the "entry level" UPS units list their output as 350VA, but only for 5 minutes (long enough to shut down a PC). Some of these use very small batteries and the internal components may only be rated for short, intermittent use. Read the label VERY carefully before buying the least expensive UPS that seems to fit. I have one of these on the VCR (so it doesn't lose programming and my wife gets to tape her soaps), but the VCR is a *very* small load compared to the rating of the UPS

My network UPS is an APC rated at 180VA (or so) which runs from a sealed lead-acid (SLA) battery. It will keep the network (DSL modem, router, 8-port switch) running for over an hour - not quite as long as the laptop battery lasts...

More about me:

VB3/VB6/C/PowerBasic source code:
Freeware for the Palm with NS Basic source code:
Drivers for Pablo graphics tablet and JamCam cameras:
Email here:

the Wiz

You should check what the waveform that comes out of the UPS is like; they aren't all the lovely smooth sine wave you get from the mains, so make sure the kit you want to use is OK with the waveform the UPS inverter produces.

Running a computer for an hour shouldn't be a problem, that's what most UPSs are designed for. I doubt a battery charger would be a problem either.

Tim

--
Cook my sock.
Reply to

60 min might as well be "continual" as far as loading is concerned.
Reply to
CWatters

:My network UPS is an APC rated at 180VA (or so) which runs from a sealed ^^^^^ :lead-acid (SLA) battery. It will keep the network (DSL modem, router, 8-port :switch) running for over an hour - not quite as long as the laptop battery :lasts...

180VA?? Really?

Have a nice day, Pradeep

--
R Pradeep Chandran                 pradeep DOT chandran AT sisl.co.in
  All opinions are mine and do not represent those of my employer.