Solar panels and EMP

Are PV panels suceptable to EMP?

thanks Bob N9NEO

Reply to
Yzordderrex

On a sunny day (Mon, 31 Dec 2012 07:58:21 -0800 (PST)) it happened Yzordderrex wrote in :

Yes they will all be out after the first close nuke. You need a generator :-) But then anything that generator powers .. And forget about that ipad. LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Not in New Hampshire. Not enough EM.

Reply to
John S

Good to hear! Panels will be in Warner, NH.

Reply to
Yzordderrex

I know. I should have written *Especially* in Warner.

Reply to
John S

QRZ?

Reply to
Yzordderrex

Panels will be damaged

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Panels will be damaged

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Radiation damage is not the same as EMP.

EMP will absolutely take out solar panels as well as any of the associated charging equipment and electronics connected to the panels. Think direct lightning strike.

Reply to
tm

You obviously know nothing about the physics of high altitude air bursts...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Bob, I was pulling you leg with my answers. Forgive me for that.

The professionals here know what it is all about, but, I can agree with them about the susceptibility. You probably only need a few inches of wire attached to something to cause havoc in the case of an EMP.

If you get one, please let us know and we will go underground :-)

QRU?

-.-/-../...../-.--/..

.---/---/..../-.

Reply to
John S

EMP is mostly very strong HF, with a initial DC like surge. Depending on your distance to the blast, lots of things with a small capture area can/will survive. Things like two meter HTs and small cell phones are very hard to zap with EMP simulators in the far field.

ARRL had a excellent multi-month write-up on this some time. Find all three parts of "Electromagnetic Pulse and the Radio Amateur."

Doing things like wrapping boards in copper foil, and then setting them on a insulator inside of a large metal cabinet with bonded doors, does wonders.

Steve

Reply to
Owen Roberts

You obviously know nothing.

Reply to
tm

What good is the equipment if it's sealed up? OTOH, who's going to notify you that they are going to create EMP near you?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Probably not. A solar panel is a big, flat, high-capacitance PN junction diode. The peripheral stuff is the bigger hazard.

What is the capacitance of, say, a square meter of solar panel?

 Click to see the full signature

diode.

I have an Alps AP-KC40W/12V here with a label which says:

Peak Power: 40W Maximum Power Voltage: 17.8 Maximum Power Current: 2.3 Open Circuit Voltage: 21.6 Short Circuit Current: 2.5

Conversion efficiency: 14-16% Cells per Module: 36 Tolerance: +/- 10%

Dimensions (mm); 651 x 526 x 35

I measured what I think is the active area. I got 24.75 inches by 18.25 inches.

Measured capacitance:

F C

100Hz 215nF 120Hz 206nF 1000Hz 117nF 10kHz 104nF

I'm sure you are capable of scaling the capacitance vs area. If not, someone here can help.

Reply to
John S

diode.

Sounds like a solar panel would be pretty much immune to ESD or EMP damage.

 Click to see the full signature

diode.

Please show your reasoning and your calculations.

Reply to
John S

diode.

If the information provided by this link...

...is correct, I disagree.

Reply to
John S

The idea is two of everything. You wait till the shooting stops and switch to the "B"urried unit.

I doubt ITO glass has good enough conductivity to be part of a EMF shield.

Steve

Reply to
Owen Roberts