SOAR OF N-CH FET

see;

Spank me with your keyboards!

Harry

Reply to
Harry D

For protection?

It may be helpful to put some sort of lowpass in there both to prevent transients from messing you up, and to allow for brief excursions beyond the SOAR during switching.

You know what device you're contemplating the use of, so you know (or can look it up in the data sheet) what sort of transient excursions outside of the static SOAR can be tolerated.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Hey, I make my dwgs on grid paper, so the lines are sort of straight. Sort of. Unless it's a whiteboard. Does anybody make a blue-grid whiteboard?

Did I mention this one?

It's a multiplier of sorts. One could put a little resistance in series with the upper diode to adjust for the fact that some fets deviate from the constant-allowed-power curve at higher voltages.

The capacitor models the time aspect of the SOAR curves. The shutdown threshold should include a temperature component.

Your circuit is the moral equivalent of a foldback current limiter. That's OK, but you could maybe push the fet harder, safer with a more intelligent computer.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

PG

My circuit is not just a foldback current limiter because of the positive temperature coeffi of Ron! SOAR is all about junction temperature and the R on is indicative of such. This circuit controls to a fix die temp then shut s down. The FET cannot be pushed any harder! No logs are needed to control smokeless operation.

Regards and I really like your dwgs (now I have said it), Harry

Reply to
Harry D

temperature coeffi of Ron! SOAR is all about junction temperature and the Ron is indicative of such. This circuit controls to a fix die temp then shuts down. The FET cannot be pushed any harder!

OK, I guess your fet is ON or OFF. My latest apps use the fet in linear mode, so I can't see Ron (whoever he is.) That's why I want a real Vd*Id multiplier.

I do real CAD schematics, or at least The Brat does, when we go to production. But I like to draw.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

.JPG

e temperature coeffi of Ron! SOAR is all about junction temperature and the Ron is indicative of such. This circuit controls to a fix die temp then sh uts down. The FET cannot be pushed any harder!

Did I say that mine ignores heat sinks, ambient temperature and all other secondary effects to get max FET operation. Just look in the data sheet and select the Ron at the die temp you want to stop at then set the amp gain. In the real system OFFN is latched and reset by a MCU.

Cheers, Harry

Reply to
Harry D

temperature coeffi of Ron! SOAR is all about junction temperature and the Ron is indicative of such. This circuit controls to a fix die temp then shuts down. The FET cannot be pushed any harder!

secondary effects to get max FET operation. Just look in the data sheet and select the Ron at the die temp you want to stop at then set the amp gain. In the real system OFFN is latched and reset by a MCU.

OK, OK! It's cute! You're measuring the ratio of Rds_on to Rs.

There are probably some timing subtleties, but the idea is good.

Mosfets have a second-breakdown sort of destruct mechanism that's from local heating or something, not a chip-wide thermal thing, but that happens at higher voltages, not your situation.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

"John Larkin"

** This recent app note from Semelab might interest you.

It covers lateral MOSFETS for use in linear ( audio frequency) amplifiers. The possibility if using class G and H output stages to reduce dissipation with high supply voltage stages is mentioned.

The author "Robin" created the note in January 2011 - can't say if he has much hands on experience with MOSFET amplifiers but he has surely spoken with those that do.

Here is a list of the devices available:

The 250V, 16A, 250W dual chip devices in TO3 would be most interesting.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Ok you asked for it...

It oscillates!

Tim

Tim Williams

Ixys makes some brutal mosfets that are designed for linear operation, huge SOAR at higher voltages.

IXTH110N10L2 is rated 600 watts dissipation and 300 amps peak. 3500 watts for 1 millisecond, 22 kilowatts for 25 usec.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

"John Larkin" "Phil Allison"

** Well, this IS following a train of though right off a cliff .....
** But it is not a lateral MOSFET and has none of the advantages.

Try reading the links - you might just learn something.

If you ever get your fat head out of your arse.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Those wussy laterals are over an order of magnitude weaker than what I need. I'm driving lasers, not loudspeakers. Audio is boring.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Not if is followed by a latch and you only get one cycle until the MCU res ets the latch. Larkin's switch is in a linear mode so Rds has no meaning. Mine is for a s olid state circuit breaker, where the surge current is 10X the holding curr ent to prevent false shut downs when starting. The over current loop operat es

Reply to
Harry D

resets the latch.

a solid state circuit breaker, where the surge current is 10X the holding current to prevent false shut downs when starting. The over current loop op erates

an ir2127 would give you a gate driver, latch off, error out, undervoltage lockout and blanking so it doesn't trigger on turn on

it is meant for current limiting but I think with a single opamp could do the Rds trick

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Ok. What I meant was, you didn't draw the latch :)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com