NEGATIVE,

A Hamon divider. Yes, very cool!

--

John Devereux
Reply to
John Devereux

da

nd

That's it! That guy's got a massively cool website too.

The original article I read in one of the trade mags did the math, developing equations to show exactly how much better the divider was than the individual resistors.

Neat stuff.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

That is fun, and the math is simple too--it just needs a second-order binomial expansion. Say you have three resistors,

R(1+a), R(1+b), and R(1+c). Their conductances are

G(1 - a + a**2 - a**3...) and similarly for the others.

If you wire them in parallel, you get a total conductance of

Gpar = G(3 - a - b - c + a**2 + b**2 + c**2 + higher order terms), which is = 3G(1 - a/3 - b/3 - c/3 + sumsq/9 + higher order terms),

where sumsq is the sum of the squares of a, b, and c.

If you then make a voltage divider with a fourth resistor, and trim it to exactly half, you have

Gbot = Gpar

Then when you wire the same three resistors in series, you get

Rser = R(3 + a + b + c) and a conductance of

Gser = (G/3)( 1 - (a+b+c)/3 + sumsq/9 + 2*(ab+bc+ac)/9 + h. o. t)

The only difference is in the cross terms between a, b, and c. So the final voltage divider ratio is

Ratio = 1/(Gpar/Gser + 1) =

1 ----------------------------------------------------- 1 + (3G)(1-(a+b+c)/3 + sumsq/9 + h.o.t) ------------------------------------------------- (G/3)(1-(a+b+c)/3 + sumsq/9 + (2/9)*cross + h.o.t)

which is

1 Ratio = -------------------------- 1 + 9 (1+2/9*cross +h.o.t)

= (1/10)(1-1/5*(ab+bc+ac) + h. o. t.).

If the magnitudes of a, b, and c are all less than delta, the relative error bound becomes

RelError < 0.6 delta**2.

Thus if you want a 1 ppm divider, you need individual resistors that match to

delta < 1.3*sqrt(1 ppm) = 0.13%.

Of course the tempcos and the temperatures need to track as well.

Cute trick.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

and

ors

he

see

kinda

:-).

ds and

LLY

I fished out the article itself -- "Calibrator Brings Record Accuracy Even to Production and Repair," Eccleston, et al., Electronics, Sep.

8, 1982, p121-127 It described the Fluke 5440A voltage calibrator.

Hey, pretty good memory, eh? But, I was wrong about the authors showing the equations--I did that myself contemporaneously, not them. I just wrote a whole divider equation and took partial derivatives for each delta(r), for a loose approximation.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

kinda

and

Nowadays, you could just use a coarse/fine DAC and a 24-bit delta-sigma ADC, and close the loop.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

REALLY

th

f a

hich

Or even PWM, with care.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

kinda

and

[...] (Snipped Phils derivation)

These techniques can achieve 0.1ppm linearity - better than the best sigma delta as far as I know.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

kinda

:-).

and

At a roughly 100:1 cost ratio.

Maintaining 0.1 PPM over time and temperature will be really, really hard.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

REALLY

You guys are no fun anymore. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

and

ors

he

see

kinda

:-).

ds and

LLY

t -

Sweet! Thanks for that. Say there's nothing special about three R's, is there? I mean you could do this trick with more R's and get a higher series/ parallel ratio.

(The factor of ten is nice.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

REALLY

Sooner or later, any really good, clever circuit gets blown away by some smart-alec IC designer.

You get a phenomenal amount of technology from a cheap 24-bit delta-sigma ADC. 3 PPM for $3.

The other amazing parts are pipelined ADCs, stuff like 12 bits at 250 MHz.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

kinda

and

Doing the tweak at 1:2 is convenient because you can turn the thing upside down and take out the error of the opposite side of the bridge. With that approach, always wind up with a voltage divider ratio of

1:N**2+1, i.e. 1:5, 1:10, 1:17, 1:26, .... If you have a fancier calibrator, you can do any ratio you like, but of course then you don't need the trick!

There are probably more involved methods that would get you different values, but I expect they'd rapidly get more cumbersome than just using the classical bridge approach to calibrating each resistor individually.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

and

errors

(see

kinda

:-).

standards and

REALLY

One other point is that you can make a 1:10 divider common centroid using a 14-pin resistor array: use resistors 1, 5, and 7 for one branch and 3, 4, and 6 for the other. (One set in parallel and the other in series, of course.)

That isn't as symmetrical as even-order networks, of course, so it won't get rid of even-order terms as a 2:2 or 4:4 network will.

It would also be a nice way to make very accurate 1-2-5 dividers.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

:

ents, and

ng errors

find the

here (see

vidual

that's kinda

r day :-).

tandards and

a REALLY

with

t of a

,

was

er

, which

s),

it

ive

R's,

.

t -

This is so cool. I'd never seen the Kelvin Varley Divdier either.

First (if I'm understanding you correctly) doesn't using different resistors for the series and parallel circuits negate the ratio-metric accuracy improvement?

And second for the common centroid thing, why not 1, 3, 5 and 2,4,6. I'm assuming the array looks like this.

14 13 12 11 10 9 8 | | | | | | | R R R R R R R | | | | | | | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Hey, a seven resistor array gives a 1:50 ratio. The error of course goes up with more resistors.

I was thinking more about sumusu 0.1/0.05% R's but you've still got to tweak the one resistor.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

ng a REALLY

do with

ke

art of a

th,

r was

rder

s), which

rms),

im it

t)

ative

hat

cy

.

r.

m.

for

ed text -

Oh that's OK, cute circuit tricks are still fun.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

ng a REALLY

do with

ke

art of a

th,

r was

rder

s), which

rms),

im it

t)

ative

hat

cy

.

r.

m.

for

ed text -

Oh that's OK, cute circuit tricks are still fun.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

.
.

or

Hey, we're lots of fun! And an elegant PWM--super accuracy for dirt cheap--that's fun too!

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

PWM is difficult. To get to PPMs, the rise/fall time have to be absurdly fast. 1 PPM of a millisecond is 1 ns. Then you have to filter the ripple out.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

That is a 5 cent gate though isn't it?

Is there some way to cancel the transition time?

--

John Devereux
Reply to

The killer for PWM will be supply ripple, which will be slightly code-dependent and therefore hard to verify.

The edges will be steep enough that the edge contribution will hardly vary with code. (It's sort of like using a trombone line for a capacitor standard--the edge effects are constant, so stretching it produces a very constant dC/dx.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs