Small, handheld enclosure

Hi All, Just wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for a small, hand held enclosure that will hold two AAA or AA batteries for my color reader project. We presently are using Serpac M-6 boxes, but are wondering if there is anything else out there similiar that might be either A. smaller or B. cheaper!

I tried using the M-4 enclosure, but it only allows a single AA cell, and that just ain't enough to power this unit... :-(

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Try Hammond...

http://www.hammondmfg.com/scpg.htm
Reply to
John Fields

Look at the Hammond 1553 series

The larger ones in this series do include a battery compartment, although they are (slightly) more expensive than the Serpac you're using. Still, for only a couple of bucks more it's a nice looking enclosure.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I don't know this vendor but might be worth checking out:

If it has to be really cheap you'd have to source in China. The poster "linnix" might be able to help.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, they are nice, but a litle too big. Only AA batteries. We would really like this to be as small as possible. The M-4 would be ideal if it has a 2 AAA option... :-(

Reply to
Charlie E.

Those aren't bad, but they are still two AA instead of AAA. I wonder if I could cheat them in on the 9V unit...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Give them a call. Sometimes they have done one for another client and you could hitch a ride on their design if the deal is non-proprietary. Very common with IP blocks in IC design, for example. Cuts down on the NRE for the other company.

I don't remember the power distribution in your design but no chance to live with one AA cell and a converter? AA cells are more popular and you can get them at every gas station. AAA, not so easily.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I was really hoping that I could, but it 'sorta' functions, with the voice very scratchy on just a single cell. My circuit seems to have a steady 40mA draw with peaks of almost 100mA when the LEDs come on with just a single AA cell. With two cells, it works nicely, even AAAs...

Reply to
Charlie E.

Try PacTec Enclosures. They have what you want - I'm sure of it. Google for the URL, or I can dig it up when I get to the office.

Reply to
mpm

Ok, no website (Under Construction) and when you get to something that says specifications, you have to register just to see them... no thanks!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Hello!

Actually Polycase does sell 2AA enclosures too!

They don't require any registration, not even to create an account when ordering right online.

Hope this helps! Thanks, Resa

Resa

Wow. Obviously I haven't visited their site in a while. I agree that registering for GlobalSpec (or whatever it's called) is complete bullshit.

I see that Mouser carries PacTec, so you probably already researched them there. (?) Link:

However, I recall they had a much more extensive product line, and might be worth shooting an email to the sales rep to have them email you a PDF of their catalog... (?)

I can tell you that they have great enclosures, and fantastic pricing. But my last project with them was in 2009.

You can also try Lansing Enclosures Link:

mpm

I am starting to tinker with EL wire for my own purposes and found that they have some enclosures that might meet your needs (they are full of their stuff of course). If you can find some engineering folks at one of these places you may be able to get what you want.

JosephKK