SLA battery physical shock resistance?

The main concern for SLA battery physical shock resistance is breakage of the casing? The casing would break open due to physical shock before anything electrically/chemically bad happens?

I am reworking an electric scooter, wondering if placing the batteries over polyurethane (solid rubber) wheels is okay, provided there is enough shock absorption for the battery casing to remain unbroken.

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

Lead plates breaking off is the problem. You'll have to check the manufacturer's specifications to see what the battery is rated for.

SLA is usually not economical for powering transporation. It's extremely heavy, looses efficiency rapidly at high currents, and tends to be fragile. A more expensive chemistry like LiFePO4 or NiMH would be cheaper in the long run because you'll buy fewer of them.

Kevin McMurtrie

My version will weigh about half of the original, even with the SLA batteries. When I can afford it, I will upgrade the batteries or make something entirely different.

--

> , looses efficiency rapidly at high currents, and tends to be
> fragile.  A more expensive chemistry like LiFePO4 or NiMH would
> be cheaper in the long run because you'll buy fewer of them.
Reply to
John Doe

Did you use SLA batteries with a higher energy density? That probably won't work. High current SLA batteries derate to 50% capacity when used at a 1C rate. That means a 12AH battery will provide 12A for about 30 minutes. High capacity/standby SLA batteries might operate for only a few minutes at a 1C rate. Standby batteries are also as fragile as eggs.

Kevin McMurtrie

I am using the original batteries. Yes, the batteries weigh a ton, but much of the weight on the retail scooter comes from the large steel frame.

Thanks for the warning.

Reply to
John Doe