Skype Problem

The Skype problem was caused by a bug in version 5.0.0.152...

So you should update to 5.00.156

For some reason this is not automated yet, so you'll need to do the update manually via "Check for Updates". ...Jim Thompson

I wonder how well these work?

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!

I don't know. Wonder if that counts as a "phone" call ($), or a free Skype connection?

I'm still contemplating going to only cell phone, with a docking station to feed the house phones when I'm home. But keep one land line, no frills, no CID, no VM, no nothing (~$20), for the alarm system and other emergencies. ...Jim Thompson

It is to allow you to use a regular phone for Skype, through your computer instead of a headset or the computer's speakers & microphone. I'm going to show it to a local non profit. They have discussed using Skype as a free long distance service, but didn't want to have it ted to it one office. I could plug that into their server and then to a spare CO line on their phone system. It's like a 'Magic Jack' for Skpye.

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Cute little device! If I'm reading the "Main Features" correctly, it shows up to the software (in part) as a standard USB Audio peripheral. This means that it would work with almost any application (on Windows or Linux or MacOS) - it would work just like any USB Audio headset or headset adapter.

I assume it also has some USB HID (Human Interface Device) endpoints, which would control the ringer, do DTMF detection (maybe), and perhaps provide on-hook and off-hook indications to the software. Utilizing these endpoints and controls would probably require some level of application-specific interfacing.

If my guess is correct, the Skype software would treat calls using this device the same way it would treat calls placed using a standard audio headset/mic, or just with a laptop's built-in speaker and microphone... they'd be free Skype calls when placed to other Skype users, and phone calls when placed to PSTN numbers via SkypeOut.

Having one hard-wired land line is a good idea, I think... in disasters, the cellphone system is one of the first things to overload and quit.

I've been slowly moving our household over to VoIP (using our DSL line as the carrier)... I have a Google Voice number for myself, and I just switched my wife's infrequently-used business phone from land-line to VoIP ($2.50/month for the number, a buck or two for the directory listing, and a penny and a half per minute).

Dave Platt

It doesn't matter how you get audio to/from Skype as the operative factor is Skype VOIP and that's no different than using a mic-headset, a bluetooth headset, or a usb sound card.

Long, long time ago, long before Skype, I built an RJ11 to sound card interface for the same thing, except just audio with no 'dialing', but Skype wouldn't care if I were using that either.

It was sort of a 'reverse speaker phone'. Off hook switched the sound card over to the handset and hanging up put your external mic and speaker back on the sound card. The 'electronics' part is converting

600 ohm single pair duplex with echo suppression to separate mic and speaker connections (same thing a telephone hybrid does).
Reply to
flipper

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

FWIW, my Skype is version 4.1.0.136 and it too was affected when their network went down. I usually don't upgrade any software until I absolutely must. Reason: I've been screwed over by "new and improved" "features" too many times!

Often, the upgrade has more bugs than were supposedly found and fixed in the prior versions. And, you often lose features and shortcuts that you've grown to appreciate and maybe even rely on. For instance, with Windows O/S, I guess they get their jollies hiding and renaming commonly used icons, etc... Hardly an "update" if it slows your productivity to a crawl.

If we're talking anti-virus - those updates can't hope to keep pace. And if we're talking anything that involves DRM (audio, video, etc...) too often the "upgrade" is little more than a new restriction to prevent you from doing something you could the day before (even something legal!). Screw em. They get $7.50 for a large popcorn at the theater. Greedy little bastards, all of them.

Occasionally, you'll get an "update" that actually is worthwhile. But they're pretty damn few and far between IMO.

Happy New Year everyone!

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Interesting. Smaller than similar ones I've seen.

It's $3 less (including worldwide shipping) from their website direct, and they've also got this gadget that allows you to share PSTN and Skype on one phone:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Thanks. The Ebay listing was for just three units, and I would need at least twice that many. Some for their business calls, and some for personal calls. They pay way too much for their 800 number, and am trying to get them to use a couple magic Jacks to return customer's calls. Luckily, they listened and kept the larger PBX that was already in the building when they moved, instead of the small Samsung system they already had.

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Their network failed because too many 5.0.0.152 users went down

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to