Simulation software for DC/DC converter

products

Right. That's why I bought the Instek scope.

with

Then you probably haven't looked close enough. My Mitsubishi SUV is of cast-iron robustness compared to some domestic ones. This has paid off in the form of zero defects in 15 years. Same for my wife's Toyota except it's older. I just waxed both cars last weekend, they almost look like showroom now except they style is obviously mid-90's.

Good test when at the dealer: Ask for a three-year warranty extension without intent of buying it. The cost is inversely proportionate to the quality of the vehicle. The differences can be stunning.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

who buys

letting

that

from

I could have sworn that was your point. Then we've been discussing nothing.

"Getting the answers" does not always involve the designers.

So problem solved.

TI would have given me an number I needed, if they had them, but it'll be a month before they're available. I should have designed in a different regulator but no one raised a red flag until I was kiting the parts.

Sometimes? Ya' think? They are good for a laugh.

There

Then we've been wasting a lot of bits.

The ones that do provide models that are an embarrassment. They're usually behavioral so not valid in the corners or even for oddball measurements. Even LTC, though at least they try to document the assumptions.

Rubbish. Cutting edge design is done all the time without the IC developers even knowing it happened.

Reply to
krw

over

Nope. I have designed in 8051's where the clients have later successfully released 2nd sources. I am not familira with ARMs so I don't know if it's possible there. But you must stay with the standard

44-pin package, no fancy stuff.

BT :-)

Seriously, this has cost me a summer vacation trip once.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

over

You flatter the 8051 by claiming that it has an architecture.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

[...]

In a lot of my cases it does. Usually when I ask a question it ain't in the datasheet.

I wouldn't go that far just yet. That was one positive event a few weeks ago versus numerous negative ones before.

You guys still do kitting? Wow. I've put a stop to that at EndoSonics 13 years ago.

If it wasn't so sad. Why are they compromising a good reputation that way? I mean, otherwise they are rather commendable. For example, I can't praise their open learning program loud enough.

[...]

if

Some stuff for switchers has to be behavioral or each sim could take hours. And I have to hand it to them, except for unorthodox stuff like dithering or sync'ing LTC's switchers come out on the circuit board almost verbatim as simulated. That is a major advantage they've got over others. For mission-critical jobs I wouldn't do it any other way if I have the choice.

Not in medical or aerospace.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

over

Well, it has about the flair of a VW Beetle or maybe an AMC Gremlin, it ain't a race car. But there are reasons why Cypress uses that architecture on newer PSoC series.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

over

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away.

BT, made 0$, not even refunded travel. :-(

Reply to
krw

over

If you mean "well thought out", well, no. I propose that many buildings are just as well thought out, so "architecture" isn't a bad description. ;-)

Reply to
krw

over

I rather like the 8051, though it's not at all symmetric. Silicon Labs has some pretty nice 8051s, still. PSoCs come in ARM varieties, too, for those who feel insulted by the 8051. ;-)

Reply to
krw

FAEs have almost always gotten the answers quickly.

I haven't dealt with Infineon so wouldn't know.

buy

I do pre-production platform design - engineering prototypes. We have to kit the parts for them, yes. For manufacturing? No.

Because

Because 99% of the US population is scientifically illiterate. MIT's BS sounds good and gets good press. 99% of the other 1% doesn't pay attention to anything the popular press says. ...and then there's Larkin, to give us all, here on SED, a good laugh. ;-)

if

As long as you're simulating something they already thought of...

Rubbish.

Reply to
krw

over

19-sumpthin' and in our galaxy. Still in production. And there you have the 2nd reason why I dunnit, these things aren't obsoleted 10 years down the road. Last but not least you can find 8051 programmers just about anywhere. [...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

[...]

shot if

Even

That's always the risk and I've found a bug in one of their chips. But they fessed up. Honesty goes a long ways in business.

I have the impression you sometimes judge stuff without knowing much about it. So tell us all, when was the last time you did a medical or aerospace design? For me: This week.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

over

Program a 32x32 signed fractional multiply on one and get back to me.

Unless some radical CS concept takes over, ARM is probably *the* CPU architecture of the next decade or three.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

parts.

sleep over

parts

It is not made to do that. In the same way that you would not use pliers to adjust the alignment of an IF filter. It is made to do other things and do them rather well.

It all depends on the application. MSP430 has a good future as well, because of the low power modes.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

parts.

sleep over

parts

It's getting harder or maybe they just don't admit to it. ;-)

...and the morons program 8051s in C. ;-)

Reply to
krw

parts.

sleep over

parts

Done it. After 16x16 it's just loops.

Like alternate energy, I've been hearing that for a couple of decades already.

Reply to
krw

parts.

sleep over

parts

We use AVRs for exactly that reason. They can be left on.

Reply to
krw

products

Exactly. Democrats love it.

with

Not a pickup.

Well, it's also proportional to what the dealer wants to make. Some will use them as loss-leaders, some it's their only profit other than financing kick-backs.

Reply to
krw

shot if

Even

But the simulators (models) are rarely useful in places they haven't already beaten to death.

IC developers don't sit holding Boeing's hand. Get real.

Reply to
krw

*do*

shot if

Even

Having a behavioral model sure beats having none. Sending a non-sim'd design into DO-160 testing sure would be a white-knuckle ride. That's because in this business delivery dates are fairly firm and when such a deadline isn't met the big Klieg lights turn around, towards the guy who dunnit. Remember Dilbert's visibility cartoon?

developers

They do. Because they know that that's the only way to remain a driving force in higher end markets. Meaning high margin markets.

Why do you think LTC provides such excellent support to guys like me? They know that I use their parts only in high-end lower volume designs.