Simplest electromechanical relay circuit

You don't much about relays, you don't know anything about compliance, all you're here to do is promulgate a bunch of anecdotal mythology.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I am not the only one posting to this thread who disagrees with you. I notice that recently you have been ridiculed by others in different threads within this newsgroup. Have you considered the possibility that there may be a common denominator?

Reply to
RosemontCrest

Science and engineering are not a democracy. You're a pathetic little idiot nothing of a person to fall back on that puny non-justification, and you'r e too dumb to realize just how idiotic you look to anyone with a working kn owledge of the technology. Imbeciles like you make the internet the trash h eap of misinformation, ignorance and mediocrity it is today. The bottom lin e is you don't know what you're talking about. STFU and go away.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I wish for you a very merry Christmas and prosperous new year.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

Don't worry about Bloggs. I'm sure Obama will have a COLA for welfare recipients this year and perhaps a couple of new programs.

Reply to
krw

diot nothing of a person to fall back on that puny non-justification, and y ou're too dumb to realize just how idiotic you look to anyone with a workin g knowledge of the technology. Imbeciles like you make the internet the tra sh heap of misinformation, ignorance and mediocrity it is today. The bottom line is you don't know what you're talking about. STFU and go away.

Drop dead.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

You should talk, you're nothing but a low life Defense sector ripoff and workfare parasite.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

You lefties are so fond of lies, you're incapable of anything else.

I don't work in the defense industry but don't let the facts get in the way of your lies. You lefties never do.

Reply to
krw

That wouldn't even make you happy, Bloggs. You lefties are incapable of happiness (or telling the truth).

Reply to
krw

" No one refers to relay contacts as "power switch." Power switch means that gizmoid with ON/OFF labels that you work manually. Looks like it's remedial reading time for you.

Bloggs, I think you should stay out of this one..

In the industry, a contact/contactor is a power switch. They switch a variety of sources to loads.. Manual has nothing to do with it. Better have a drink and think about it before you reply. Better yet, have two or more!

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Check again. It's been a requirement to switch the hot for as long as I can remember. If you can't find the paragraph, ask the local electrical inspector.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Oh, hell no! Morons like Bloggs make *mean* drunks.

Reply to
krw

Hi, Don -

Nice relay. The data sheet tells everything you need to know. If you look at the Coil Operating Range DC graph, you will see that it is capable of operation up to 70C at the specified coil voltage of 24V.

It is not necessary to add a resistor to keep the coil from burning up. A diode or snubber around the coil might be needed depending on your push button specs or other requirements.

The simplest circuit is therefore the pushbutton and relay if you do not need transient suppression. Otherwise a diode or snubber will need to be added.

HTH, John S

Reply to
John S

You're the one who made the assertion, not me, so you find it. NEC does not assume jurisdiction over relays in products external to the fixed electrical wiring.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

On Tuesday, December 24, 2013 3:10:59 PM UTC-5, Maynard A. Philbrook Jr. wr ote:

The contactor has a completely different symbol from the power switch on th e schematic. Of course a contactor is a power switch, but, and this is a to ugh one, a contactor is called a....wait for it...contactor, and a switch i s called a switch. Sounds like you already got a headstart on me in the dri nking department.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

It's true that the NEC does not claim to govern the insides of industrial equipment, especially if that equipment is done to some other standard, such as NEMA.

But the rationale for switching the hot, not the ground, was the issue, the rationale being safety.

The power of Google brought this to the first screen:

..

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

No argument there, but it as nothing to do with how you wire things up inside a standalone box or product.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

About a week ago Don Kuenz asked a question about relays.

Does anyone in here consider a relay to be an active device? A 1-liner on why, or why not, would probably be interesting. More if you feel like it!

Thanks!

Reply to
No News

just think about what constitutes an ACTIVE device!

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Relays are not usually considered to be active devices. Even though they do have significant power gain, they are binary.

However, one can make electromechanical analog amplifiers.

The more usual definition is that they are electron devices, which includes tubes and semiconductors (holes being honorary electrons for the purpose). This covers most applications, but ...

What about such things as parametric amplifiers?

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn