Simplest electromechanical relay circuit

Ummm, actually, not quite. If you read some of the peer reviewed literature outlining hardcore relay design details like contact materials, pressure a nd over travel, among many others, for DC relays anyway, relay life is actu ally improved by the redistribution of contact material by inductive flybac k, tending to repair the erosion caused by the closure. Note the operative phrase is "is improved" and not "may be improved." Generally it is safe to say that if the relay is used within its inductive rating (or derating as t he case may be) you can expect the full operational MTBF, however it is spe c'd like 10,000 electrical actuations at full load, 1 million mechanical ac tuations, etc., without possibly making things *worse* with a snubber.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

And a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours! ...Jim Thompson

Eh. How counter-intuitive. I shall have to keep this in mind, should I ever design such a circuit.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

When I was a kid, a friend an I gave ourselves a tour of an old strowger-relay telephone exchange. It was like a WWI battlefield in there, rat-tat-tat noises in every direction.

The guys who worked there came across us and didn't seem to mind. They showed us how some of the stuff worked, patch panels and battery rooms and such.

I those days, we used to take the bus to the airport and knock on the door of the control tower. They'd let us hang around and watch them work, and look at the radars and stuff.

We used to wander into utility power plants, too.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Den mandag den 23. december 2013 21.25.52 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

The could probably tell just by the sound when a relay was worn and soon needed replacement

They are probably all behind barbed wire fences now, We got guided tours when I was in school

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Nonsense, you can switch any side you want.

Okay, that part is right.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

On Sunday, December 22, 2013 8:16:16 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wrote :

Ummm, that is not really true. The relay is designed so that it just operat es at rated voltage and maximum temperature (50-85 oC range). The slack onl y exists at coil at room temperature, but most coils experience a temperatu re rise of 40oC in steady state. The minimum operate voltage therefore clim bs at 3900ppm/oC, same as the copper winding.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

While technically true (i.e. one *can*), it's safer to switch the hot leg or both hot and neutral.

Did you not just contradict yourself?

Reply to
RosemontCrest

That is an unnecessary precaution for someone working inside the equipment who, if that reckless, is just as likely to touch the live stuff.

No, the switch and fuse belong on the hot side.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Sounds like he's using an AC control relay with most of the current limiting due to the inductive reactance ( as a function of the armature being in or out), that's why it actuates at such a low voltage.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

The issue is safety.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

In this case, the relay acts as the "power switch." You agreed that the switch should interrupt the hot leg. You contradicted yourself.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

I understand that but what does that have to do with relay contacts on the hot side? Is it a NEMA, NEC or UL requirement? If not, it's a non-issue.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I know enough to know that relays are not used that way without a manual disconnect. If you can't cite a regulatory requirement, there is no discussion here.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

My reply to you has nothing to do with regulatory requirements. You stated that one can switch either hot or neutral leg, then in the same post, you agreed that the hot leg should be switched. Regardless of any regulatory requirements, you contradicted yourself.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

Don Y's words were "Ditto with fuse placement, "power switch", etc. " No one refers to relay contacts as "power switch." Power switch means that gizmoid with ON/OFF labels that you work manually. Looks like it's remedial reading time for you.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Nice try, Fred.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

Hey! Bloggs! Lose the google and learn to quote properly! WTF! ...Jim Thompson

It's certainly a NEC requirement, and most likely UL and NEMA as well.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

I checked NEC and it definitely is NOT a requirement.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred