Simplest electromechanical relay circuit

Good observation, most relay circuits consume far too much power in the steady state.

With a suitable circuit, 24 V industrial relays can be reliably operated from a 12 V car battery, provided that the switching cycle is not too frequent to allow the capacitors in the circuit to recharge.

Reply to
upsidedown

You lost me.

You might want to re-think your feelings. :) I earned an electronics merit badge in Boy Scouts over fourty-five years ago. I started designing my own electronic circuits in junior high school. I started taking EE classes after high school and my first job was with a company that manufactured electronic medical devices (brain scanners). Now, don't you feel silly? (You ought to even if you don't.) The only reason I'm troubling myself to school you is that you offered up a good suggestion in another followup. You more or less said told me to look at the datasheet. Excellent advice! Too bad that this datasheet lacks an example circuit, ergo my post.

I'm not afraid to ask questions. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked out of fear.

--
      __
   __/  \

A reply like that may likely result in no future help from this group.

An example circuit for an electro-mechanical relay? Shirley, you jest.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

I didn't mean the Street View thing. I meant the hundreds of huge white busses that pick up and drop off Google and other .com employees.

There are locals who mightily resent the "geek invasion", the tens of thousands of freshly-arrived highly-paid coders who are bidding up the rents to astronomical levels.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Well, that'd be a pity because your earlier answer proved most useful. Allow me to apologize for my hasty words. What can I say? hamilton "got my goat." It happens.

--
      __
   __/  \

Smart move. Good luck with your project.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

You're supposed to just know. Or it's one line of "aha" that's buried in there, or so far to the front that you skipped over it, or whatever.

If getting the most speed out of the relay opening is important, there's a whole science to designing the snubber circuit -- the diode is the simplest, and also the slowest.

Even if you're controlling one relay from another, it's not a bad idea to have some sort of a snubber, to prevent the inductive kick back from the controlled coil causing sparking at the contacts of the controlling relay and wearing them out.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Find an old electromechanical pinball machine and have a look at what switching coils via relay contacts does to the contacts over time! You'll be amazed at how much material migrates! And, what a PITA it is to service! :<

Reply to
Don Y

On a sunny day (Sun, 22 Dec 2013 14:42:17 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

It could use some cleaning and a paint job...

I DO see resistors on that panel, what are those for?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 22 Dec 2013 15:15:14 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

It already has a crack in it by design, now about that Andreas fault.

You are doomed there, last night I was watching Mission Impossible Phantom Protocol, where the guy was climbing on the outside to the 26th floor of such a building in Dubai.

Do not take all those high buildings the sun away?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

In Dubai, is that a problem?

Reply to
krw

On a sunny day (Mon, 23 Dec 2013 11:04:41 -0500) it happened snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in :

In Frisco

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

  • Read "Coil resistance" in the Coil Data section (page one,top - where it cannot be ignored or "lost"). The rest of it is symple Ohm's law to determine current, then power draw.
Reply to
Robert Baer

"Don't Call It Frisco!"

The intersection of Market and Van Ness is already a wind tunnel, shaped by the buildings. One theory is that, if they put up enough huge buildings, the prevailing wind will detour around the entire mess.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Yes, one of our spare-time projects is to sand and varnish it. The floor is basically butcher block and it could be beautiful. The shaft is all glass facing outside and has a skylight.

No point if somebody is going to tear it all down. Whather that happens or not largely depends on whether the building is considered to be historical or not.

Don't know. I've never traced the circuit.

Cool stuff was done with relays, like control systems and entire telephone systems. Modern uP based PLCs are still often programmed in "ladder logic" which is a picture of relay coils and contacts.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Well, that's why I was suggesting a snubber! If I were designing some purely electromechanical gizmo, I'd probably want some sort of an RC snubber to keep any silicon junctions out of the mix, but that's me.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

On a sunny day (Mon, 23 Dec 2013 08:55:55 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Oh, I know that. Long long time ago I worked in a movie sound synchronization studio, these used 'magnetocords', or perfotape audio recorders[1], the motors where driven by a 3 phase net generated by coils from a generator coupled to an electro motor that was braked somehow (forgot the details, but the complexity was scaring). The place was full of cabinets with nothing but relays. Hundreds if not thousands of those. And I had to keep it running.

[1] That is audio tapes with holes in it like film, so it could be run in sync, of course motors needed to be in sync too, also when speeding up from stopped.

Later I had to work as embedded and PC programmer with the Siemens PLC programmer guys who used that ladder logic.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 23 Dec 2013 08:50:04 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

OK, call it google ;-)

Possibe. As ground gets more expensive, more high-rise will come I think.

I prefer the lower building streets.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Somewhere around here I have a nomograph for designing "pop stoppers" (aka snubbers) so that turning off light switches don't make popping noises in your audio equipment ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Thank you for this and your earlier advice about what it takes to burnup (melt the coil winding of) a relay.

###

Merry Christmas to all who read this!

--
      __