help with choosing parts for project

I'm looking to design and develop a remote controlled motor. The way i want to implement is to have a RF transmitter chip which will recieve digital inputs (pushbuttons) convert it to analog signal and the transmitter will then transmit the signal to RF receiver chip which will then convert it back to digital signal and send it to a PIC microcontroller (16f818, specs: 3V,

4MHz oscilator and 1 Mhz internal clock). The PIC microcontroller will then understand the signal and increase or decrease the speed of the motor accordingly. (Basically the concept is based on a remote control cars which kids play with).

I'm interested in knowing which kind (specs,brand etc) of RF receiver and transmitter chips can i use to work in this project. Obviously being a college student i would like to purchase cheap parts :) Any input will be higly appereciated.

Reply to
Amol Desai

First you have to clarify your RF specs. Which frequencies are allowd, which output power is allowd, whats the needed distance. Next would be to define the fail-safe functions you need, if the RF transmission is interfeered. Last would be the type of motor. DC, brushless, stepper.

Now you con start to choose parts :-).

Regards, Kurt

--
Kurt Harders
PiN -Präsenz im Netz GITmbH

Freq allowed -> no real restriction (its just a lab project) Distance -> less than 5mt Battery used -> 3 volts Max. Current(PIC limitation) -> 0.5mA (@1MHz internal clock) I don't think there will be a need to take care of interference in our lab environment. Type of motor -> stepper or DC... again no real restriction. PIC used -> 16f818 (internal clock 1MHz max and 8KHz min)

thanks

Reply to
Amol Desai

So you can take a ready built module with 433, 866MHz or 2.4GHz. There are several suppliers. Selection depends on how much own work you are going to invest in controlling the transceiver. If you want to minimize your own effort have a look at ZEBRA

Why that? The motor needs lots of current :-)?

My personal favorite would then be a DC motor. But thats just because i know them better :-).

Thats OK. The ZEBRA module mentioned has a freescale processor with lots of free memory.

Regards, Kurt

--
Kurt Harders
PiN -Präsenz im Netz GITmbH