Silicon oil leakage on PCB - how to remove?

I read in sci.electronics.design that Daniel Haude wrote (in ) about 'Silicon oil leakage on PCB - how to remove?', on Thu, 28 Apr 2005:

No, perchloric acid HClO4 is quite different from hydrochloric acid HCl.

Naturally, he's a chemist. (;-)

BTW, KOH does dissolve in methanol. Whether you could use NaOH is another matter.

\'What is a Moebius strip?\'
John Woodgate

The KOH/MeOH, NaOH, HClO4 and related mentions were more for fun than considered to be applicable to the problem at hand, as they are certainly NOT. That was spelled out in my post. The diethyl ether was the serious recommendation.

It's not a big deal if dealt with using normal precautions for volatile flammables. An explosion proof fume hood typical of chem labs is the best idea, otherwise a garage or outside patio with a check for potential ignition sources nearby should be appropriate levels of precaution.

Most diethyl ether is stabilized with some addatives, so the peroxide problem isn't that big of a deal. I think we generally disposed of ether older than 6 months or something like that. Not too difficult to do a little research to determine prudent practices for this time. Bill Sloman might have something to say. Or go on over to sci.chem and ask about how to keep oneself safe with ether.

Ether really was the only thing that worked for silicone vacuum grease. Oils might be a little easier to solvate.

good day!

Christopher R. Carlen
Principal Laser/Optical Technologist
Sandia National Laboratories CA USA
crcarleRemoveThis@BOGUSsandia.gov
NOTE, delete texts: "RemoveThis" and "BOGUS" from email address to reply.
Reply to
Chris Carlen

Well, you didn't ask, but the long-term solution is to replace the oil- filled damper with an air dashpot.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I read in sci.electronics.design that "Aubrey McIntosh, Ph.D." wrote (in ) about 'Silicon oil leakage on PCB

- how to remove?', on Thu, 28 Apr 2005:

You can get toluene as solvent for impact adhesive.

True, but IIRC it takes years to produce sufficient concentration to go pop.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

ISTR metals catalyze the peroxidation... thus tins would colect a nice explosive crust where vapour would exit from the container and mix with air. Don't screw that cap off...

I have a bottle of pinkish MEK that was sold as a nail varnish remover "without acetone".

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

Vapor-phase degreasing with perchlorethelene was effective in the 80s, but chlorinated solvents have been restricted materials for some time now. They also damage most non-hermetic electrolytic devices.

The dishwasher, though appearing simplistic, is actually fairly practical if grosely hygroscopic materials aren't present. A de-ionizing rinse, before air brushing and a controlled bake-out, is advised as a following treatment.

RL

Reply to
legg