shortwave antenna

I want to make an antenna for my Realistic Solid State Communications Reciever DX-160. On the back there are three screws: GND, A1 & A2.

I plan to jump GND & A1, then run A2 to my antenna wire:

Wire 1 (LONGEST WIRE) 3.25 MHz (90 meter band) 09.75 MHz (31 meter band 3rd harmonic)

468 ÷ 3.25 = 144' 0"

Wire 2 3.95 MHz (75 meter band) 11.85 MHz (25 meter band 3rd harmonic)

468 ÷ 3.95 = 118' 6"

Wire 3 5.10 MHz (60 meter band) 15.30 MHz (19 meter band 3rd harmonic)

468 ÷ 5.10 = 91' 9"

Wire 4 (SHORTEST WIRE) 5.90 MHz (49 meter band) 17.70 MHz (16 meter band 3rd harmonic)

468 ÷ 5.90 = 79' 3"

These 4 wires are connected together at my trailer. From there I will run coaxial cable to the receiver. The other end will go to a tree about 150' away. I will ground the coaxial sheath with the GND & A1.

I am planning on using electric fence wire (agriculture).

Any suggestions?

Jon

Reply to
Jon

On a sunny day (Thu, 7 Oct 2010 09:36:44 -0400) it happened "Jon" wrote in :

I need metric units, beep.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Try rec.radio.shortwave and rec.radio.amateur.antenna I'm not sure all these wires are going to make much difference compared to just one random length wire. MikeK MikeK

Reply to
amdx

Add a real ground to the Ground-A1 connector.

I am using a similar setup successfully on several bands (Ham, transmit & receive) but as a dipole at 45 feet.

John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

Yea, just hook it up to your generator.

One long wire is enough, a balun to get a balanced feed to the receiver, a lightning suppressor to protect yourself... Oh, crap, I just realized you don't care about safety, so skip any protection circuits.

Reply to
PeterD

Only one wire is likely to be more directional at the higher freqs., or change directivity. I usd to have some kind of dipole with different length wires.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Just one wire, to A2, then a wire to a good ground to A1 and gnd. Most of those bands have pretty healthy atmospheric noise, and you'd need a pretty crappy receiver to overwhelm it. You need just enough antenna that you can hear the noise level go up when you connect it -- after that you're not really changing the SNR.

Story's different if you want to transmit, but that's not where you are.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Hmm..if you can translate between at least 2 languages, then...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yeah, if you're running it to a tree use a screen-door spring to tension it, so it will have some compliance when the wind blows.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Forgotten how to multiply and divide?

One inch = 25.4mm, exactly, BTW ;-)

-- "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)

Reply to
Fred Abse